May 1555

Hampton Court

It has been almost a year since Elizabeth was sent to Woodstock. But under constant persuasion from Phillip, I have consented to allow her to come to Hampton Court in time for the birth of our child.

I would have preferred her to not be here. But at least she will see for herself when my child is born, that her schemes have been in vain. That there is a new heir to the throne of England, and she must make do with being the treacherous bastard aunt of the next monarch of England.

None at court knows that Elizabeth arrived nigh on two weeks ago. I gave orders that she be brought to the palace through a side entrance, still heavily guarded, closely watched at all times. I did not wish to encourage her supporters to visit her and offer support that might encourage her to remain defiant, or god forbid inspire another rebellion against my authority.

She is still forbidden from receiving visitors, though Phillip visited her three days after her arrival, still defiantly protesting her innocence. I refused to accompany him. I did not wish to see her, nor do I still. I want no upsets during my confinement that might harm this precious child. I know that seeing her will only remind me of the pains of her betrayal, and the wrongs she has done me.

However, I have today sent the most powerful members of the council to her, headed by Lord Chancellor Gardiner, to rebuke her for not submitting to my authority. Elizabeth has been told to admit her past wrongdoings and seek my forgiveness, which I will give, and give willingly if I could just believe in her, as I once did.

I know, as do all the Lords of the Council, that she was complicit in the Wyatt rebellion in some way. Although he protested her innocence on the scaffold, I do not doubt that he was bribed, or persuaded to do so. The truth is what is important to me, and Elizabeth's continuing lies, only serve to increase my hostility towards her.

Gardiner comes before me now. I suspect he has come straight from Elizabeth, and I am glad that I sent him. With his hard, stony stare and serious demeanour, I do not doubt that he could persuade her into admitting the truth.

"Your Majesty," he bows low. "I am just come from the Lady Elizabeth. I put to her your commands, but she replied that she had done nothing wrong in the past, and wanted no mercy from Your Grace, but only desired the law. She said she would rather remain in prison forever than admit to crimes she had never committed."

I scoff at her stubbornness. Her lies no shame that she would lie so blatantly to a man of the cloth. "She would so stoutly use herself, not confessing that she had done wrong. Go back to her tomorrow, and ask her if she truly believes she is wrongfully imprisoned. Tell her that if she wants her liberty and former position, she must tell a different story. Only by admitting her past faults and confessing all her sins, can she ever hope for forgiveness. From God and from me."

I wave him away with a sweep of my hand. My patience is running thin; I truly believed that he could have extracted a confession from her. I will give her the night to reconsider her position. She must have a care for her conscience. she must long to confess. to be obsolved of sin. How is her guilt not a burden to her? How is she so flippant? Has she truly strayed beyond the word of god that she no longer fears the consequences of her actions?

I had been expecting a change in attitude from Elizabeth when she had been left in solitude to reconsider her position. However, the next afternoon, Gardiner appears in my presence chamber and reports to me.

"I did as you requested Your Majesty. The Lady Elizabeth again refused. She did not criticise you but said only that Your Grace must do with her as your conscience dictated. When I told her that she was at a stalemate, she again told me she would rather be unjustly imprisoned than gain freedom with lies."