September 1553

Richmond Palace

As the plans for my coronation begin, the difficulties of having a female sovereign raises itself once again.
I am determined that I shall be crowned according to the old customs of England. However, there are no precedents for the crowning of a Queen regnant to refer to know how the ceremony should be conducted and my council cannot agree on how the ceremony should proceed.
They consult the "Liber Regalis" that was used for the coronation of Richard III. However, it only outlines the processional details for the ceremony of the Queen consort. Which only prompts more questions from them. Should I walk beneath a canopy to the Abbey as Kings do, or go by chariot as my mother and grandmother did? Should I wear the robes of a Queen Consort or the traditional state robes of Crimson velvet that a regnant monarch would?

For me the decision is simple. I am Queen in my own right. I do not owe my crown to a husband like any other Queen of England had. I will wear the traditional robes of state like my brother, father and grandfather have done before me.

A number of Edwards Councillors' have called for my coronation, scheduled for the beginning of October to be postponed until Parliament has met and ratified my legitimacy.
Although it would please me immeasurably to be crowned with the false stain of illegitimacy washed away from me, Ambassador Renard is outraged when I tell him. He is convinced that it is an attempt by the council to make me more dependent on the powers of Parliament and to keep me within their power.

"Your Majesty is Queen by the will of God," he insists as we walk through the gardens at Richmond Palace. "Not by the will or wishes of the Privy Council."

"But surely Simon, would it not be better for the slander of illegitimacy to be officially removed from me before such a solemn ceremony."

"Your Majesty, only heretics and traitors would ever call into question your rights to the throne. For all true believers, you have always been the rightfull Princess of England."

With England still technically in schism no Bishop may say the mass and administer the sacraments without being in sin. I write a letter to Cardinal Pole, England's new papal legate, and son of my former governess Lady Salisbury, asking him to absolve me and my Bishops on the day of the coronation so that they may administer them without sin.

Even the oils to be used at my anointing, the same that was used by Edward at his coronations and consecrated by his heretic ministers. I have no wish to be anointed with oil used to heretic practices and so I ask Renard to write to the Bishop of Arras in Brussels beseeching him to source especially consecrated oil for my anointing.

Another issue that vexes me is the role that Elizabeth must play in the ceremony. She has continuously failed to appear at Mass, despite my many hints that it would please me greatly to see her attend the services of her own choosing.
Both Simon and I start to fear she has been swayed by the thinking of the new religion, which only serves to heighten Simons already solid suspicious of her.

I have not demanded or insisted anything of her. I have merely asked that she listen to the services of the true faith. I know that if she were to open her mind and her heart, belief would be sure to follow. Yet she refuses to attend and it cools my affection for her, putting an uncomfortable distance between us. It is intolerable that my sister, heiress to my crown should be a heretic

Unable to bear the thought of her seduced into sin, I summon my sister to an audience.

"Your Majesty," Elizabeth is tearful as she falls on her knees before me in my Privy Chamber. "I see only too well that Your Majesty is not well disposed toward me, and I can think of no other cause, but religion."

"You do not attend Mass." I accuse her curtly, finding myself using Simon's words, unmoved by her tears.

"I cannot."