April 1550

Woodham Walter

"I have received a proposal of marriage, from the Marquess of Brandenburg," I reveal, not caring to hide my revulsion at the prospect of a marriage to heretic, to a sweaty and mud splattered Ambassador Van Der Delft, who has ridden to Woodham Walter with all haste upon my summons sent in a fit of terror. I need his counsel; he is my only true friend in England. It his advice alone that I can trust. "I have told the council that I will marry none without the Emperor's approval. Yet I fear that they will force me to consent to the union, and if I refuse, that they will press ahead regardless."

"I think we must wait, see and reflect on the matter at leisure." Van Der Delft says, calmly.

This is not what I had hoped to hear from him. He should be urging me to flee, to escape the clutches of my brother's evil councillors. Not to wait, and see if I am shipped off to the heretic Brandenburg or not, by which time all will be too late.

"Have you forgotten the Godlessness of the Council, Senior?" I demand almost too rudely pacing the floor of my presence chamber in agitation. "I fear they plan to make a martyr out of me. It is evident to all; such people fear no God, and respect no persons, but follow their own fancy. Some good friends of mine have already warned me, that soon the council will try to force me to conform to the uniformity act and live my life as a heretic. Closed off from the word of God, and the Mass. When they send these orders, I shall expect to suffer as I suffered in the reign of my father. I would willingly stay where I am and serve God, as I have done in the past, which is what I have always said, but these men are so changeable, so godless that I truly fear for what may lie ahead."

He makes no movement. I can see that the idea is going to have to come from me.

"When I was a girl living at Hatfield, it was suggested by the then ambassador, Chapys, that I flee, and seek refuge with the Emperor, rather than continue to live deprived of the word of God."

Now he understands what I must do. "Now Your Grace wishes to see a revival of such a plan?"

"I must escape." I force myself to conceal my inner hysteria. "Naturally, I will refuse to conform, for I would sooner die than stain my conscience with impure words. When I do, I will be deprived of the servants I trust and reduced to the utmost destitution just as was done when my father was alive." I search his face, to see that he is pained by such imagery. "They will do with me what they please," I cry to him, imploring him to show me some pity, grabbing his hands. "I beg of you Senior, help me, help me to leave this place, so I might not be taken unawares. I am like an ignorant child. I care nothing for my goods, nor for the world, only for Gods' service and my conscience."

"But, Your Grace, if, God forbid, the king was to die and Your Grace not in the country, the throne would be almost impossible for you to claim. Religion would be set aside for good without any hope of mending it."

"The King is not likely to die Senior. He is strong. He will soon be married to Elisabeth of France, and the father of heirs. Besides, even if my brother were to die, I should be far better out of the kingdom because as soon as he was dead, before the people could hear of it, they would dispatch me too. I fear I may tarry too long, and if the council were possessed of same foresight my father had, I should be too late now even to save myself. But in your opinion, if I had better go, so be it in Gods name. For there is peril in going and peril in staying; I must choose the lesser of the two evils."

He nods, half to himself and I suspect, half in agreement."I will write to the Emperor at once, Your Grace. You must not ever doubt that he would welcome you, and always do his best for you."

My heart skips a beat, and I feel a wave of relief rush over me. Praise the Lord, he will help. I knew that I could rely on him and Charles. Praise be, I am saved.