February 1554

Whitehall

"This rebellion, Your Majesty, was the result of being over merciful upon your accession," Simon says with the simple frankness I have come to admire.

"I could hardly have executed the whole of the Privy Council." I retort lightly.

"No, Your Majesty, indeed. However, this time you must harden your heart and show your subjects that you will not be intimidated by sentimentality. Your Majestys leniency, whilst admirable has almost cost you the throne." 

"Fear not Simon. Those days are behind me. I will not cease to demand the law strike terror into all those who would venture to do evil. Nor will I tolerate heresy in my realm, for it only leads to seditious plots against me."

"Your Majesty shows great wisdom to be so cautious. But may I suggest that in some instances your caution may be detrimental to your position."

"If you mean to speak of my cousin, I have already made my decision" I insist, rising from the chair. "Jane and her husband shall remain in the Tower until it is safe to grant their pardons and release them into obscurity."

"Madam, forgive me. But the Lady Jane and her husband are both traitors."

"And they shall be tried and condemned as such. No one can be held accountable for the sins committed by others in their name." I point out, thinking of my narrow escapes from the rebellions in my father and brother's reigns that implicated me in treason. "Justice forbids an innocent girl to suffer for the crimes of others. My conscience cannot permit me to put them to death. I promise you," I say turning to face him. "That I shall be watchful in the case of Lady Jane, should she become the focus for further conspiracies. I will ensure the realm is in quiet order before she is released."

"Madam, she has been party to two rebellions during your reign and it is not even a year old," he presses. "The Emperor feels the executions of Lady Jane and her husband should be a stern example to the people that any challenge to your rightful rule would not be easily forgivable."

"She is just a girl. An innocent child."

"An innocent child who, like the Lady Elizabeth, is a rallying point for your enemies. Your Grace. Your tender heart does you credit. However, it will not protect you from those who would do evil against you.

"I have already made my feelings on the issue of the Lady Jane perfectly clear, Simon," I press firmly, hiding behind my Queen-like mask, my only retreat from a conversation I do not wish to have again.

"Indeed, Your Majesty." He says dropping into a bow. "And I ask your Majesty pardon for pressing the matter. But I regret to say that the Emperor is most troubled by Lady Jane's continued imprisonment. He feels that severe justice is the only way to ensure Prince Phillip's arrival. Should he come to England."

I am instantly alarmed. Surely, the Emperor would not stop my marriage to Phillip simply because I do not wish to see my innocent cousin sacrificed.

"Should?" I demand of Renard. Panic rises in my voice.

"The Emperor is reluctant to send his son to a country where a focus for rebellion still exists. By living, Lady Jane is a danger to both yourself and Prince Philip. The Emperor will not send his son to a country where there is such open hostility to him."

"I would sooner have never been born, than have any harm come to the Prince's highness." I cry out at once, fearful that Phillip's arrival will be delayed even further. "I will guarantee his safety personally. He must not postpone his arrival on account of rumours of danger."

"Forgive me, Your Grace, but danger lies not in rumours, but in deed. I would be failing in my duties to the Emperor if I were to tell him that there was no further incidence of civil discord."