January 1543

As instructed by my father, I duly protest to the Imperial Ambassadors when they visit me at Havering. I take pains to point out that I am only a woman and cannot help saying these things, but after so many overtures and fine words, nothing has been concluded. The dissimulation, the miserable offers of a dowry, and the Emperors failure to show me the cousinly kindness and friendship expected of him. The words stick in my throat. I despise myself for repeating my fathers slander against the Emperor who has only ever been good to me. The ambassadors are dumbfounded by these complaints and are quick to find reasons to take their leave of me. I feel so awful for the disrespect shown to them that I ask Susan to find some way for me to meet with Chapys in secret.

"I hold the Emperor in the highest esteem, as a father and mother," I assure him as we sit together in the privacy of my chapel. "I am so affectionately attached to him, that it seems almost impossible to have such affection and love for a kinsman. I cannot believe the terrible things my father has said about him and can only conclude that it is troublesome councillors plotting to muddy the waters. Tell him," I insist firmly so that he might not mistake my sincerity, "I stand ready to do whatever he asks of me in this issue of my marriage."

"Fear not Princess. It was clear to us as you trembled with your words that they did not come from you. But were those of your fathers' council. Perhaps it may be better for you if we were to find some way to carry you to Spain after all."

It is a tempting offer. But one I know I cannot take. At least not yet. I know that if the King should discover this then it will be as if I have placed a knife at my own throat.

"It might happen. but my fathers' council might hereafter show greater consideration for me, or cause me to be treated with more respect and better treatment than I have been up until now. If this is the case, I would much prefer to remain in England and conform myself entirely to my father's commands and wishes. The late Queen Jane, God rest her, took considerable trouble to reunite us. I would not undermine that."

"As you wish, Your Grace. Although it may be prudent for us to look to the other suitors for your hand to secure your safety."

"Are there many?"

"Indeed Your Grace. The King of France has renewed his interest in your hand for one of his sons, as has the King of Portugal, the Duke of Milan I believe has also expressed an interest for your hand. Although the latter two have yet to send envoys to your fathers' court, as the King of France has done."

"Then they are not wholly committed to me. The French offer is the most sincere of the three. My dowry would help to cancel out there enormous debts. But I believe that nothing will be got from them but fair words. It was folly to think that they would marry me out of England, or even in England. What Prince would wish to marry a Princess named as baseborn. As long as my father lives I shall only ever be the Lady Mary, The most unhappy lady in Christendom."

"Your Grace,"

"No, Your Excellency, I am resigned to it. Unless God so wills me to it, I am destined to live my life deprived of the sanctity of marriage." It is a hard thing to accept, the thought of perpetual loneliness. a life devoid of companionship and the joys of children and I cannot help but wonder what my life will become now. Will it be a constant travelling between my homes and the court? or trips to Edwards nursery. Poor motherless child. It is my hearts greatest joy to be near him. For now, I believe it is my duty to be as a mother to Edward. It is my life's greatest pleasure to visit him and play with him. His Majesty books no refusal and, knowing my love of riding, gifts me the late Queen Jane horse so that I might enjoy the physical excursions of a ride rather than travel by river. 

He encourages me to report back to him in person how I find the prince and It happens that I spend more and more time at court. His Majesty is most solicitous to me and throughout March and April starts coming to my rooms more than once a day. Seeking me out here and there and paying considerable attention to my ladies, particularly Lady Latimer who has returned to my service since her poor husbands unfortunate passing in March.

"Lady Mary, might I speak with you? If it pleases Your Grace," Lady Latimer asks as she approaches me, walking my familiar morning route through the Privy Gardens, offering a deep curtsey as she approaches me.

"Of course, Katherine. What is it?" I ask gently indicating that she may walk with me in private along the grassy verge

Her reply is not easily forthcoming; indeed, she seems almost nervous as she rubs her hands in angst beneath her fur-lined cape.

"Is it that you wish to leave my service?" I pre-empt her, concerned that she is trying to summon the courage to tell me she is leaving court.

"No!" she cries back instantly with such vehemence that I do not doubt her sincerity.

"Then what is it? My dear Katherine'." I presume on informality to encourage her to be more comfortable.

Taking a deep breath, she raises her head staring into the distance. "I hardly know where to begin, Your Grace. However, I suppose it is only the facts of the matter that are of relevance. You see, the fact is, last night His Majesty asked for may hand in marriage."

"How wonderful," I exclaim at once, delighted in his Majesty's choice.

Lady Latimer's strained face loses some of her angst, softened by my reaction. "Your Grace does not object?"

"By no means. I have long feared that His Majesty was growing lonely and that another unsuitable girl might be brought before him and he takes a fancy to her. But when the King began to seek you out, I could not help but be pleased, since I know of your goodness, your piety, your faithful nature. Of all the women of the court that His Majesty could have chosen, I am so pleased he chose you. But you have not said that you have accepted him."

"I have asked for some time to think on the matter. But I know I could never accept without Your Graces blessing."

"Of course you have my blessing, Katherine," I say at once, wondering at her hesitation. "But I think it is the blessing of Lord Latimer's children that should matter to you more than mine."

"It matters to me on equal terms. Your Grace. But I thank you for your good opinion of me, and for your blessing. With your leave, I will return to Charterhouse today and speak with my stepchildren."

I am quick to agree. "Ask God for his guidance, Katherine." I urge her gently. The sooner she can speak with her stepchildren, her mind maybe soothed and she can accept the King's proposal with a glad heart. I am confident God will inspire her to accept.

"But, Katherine," I call to her as she heads back to the palace, still looking troubled. "Was there something else?"

"No, Your Grace." She says unconvincingly, proffering another curtsey before continuing on her way.

The good news of the morning puts a spring in my step as I continue my walk along the riverbank. I have been convinced for some time my father would want to remarry. A King needs to have a wife, and Lady Latimer will be the perfect Queen for my father, and for England. Loyal, faithful and a true servant of God, the restoration of our holy church will be safe with her as Queen. She will guide the King back to Rome, be a good mother to Elizabeth & Edward, and even myself, in spite of the short number of years between us.

It will be an adjustment, offering a curtsey to her as my Queen when I am used to receiving one from her. But it is a change I will accept gladly knowing that a good woman is once more Queen of England and that my father is happy.

Queen Katherine, the third in an illustrious list of wives. With Gods good grace, I pray that the next Queen Katherine will endure.