November 1553

Westminster

"Your Majesty, I beg of you," Lord Chancellor Gardiner's deep voice booms around the hastily convened Parliament session in Westminster Hall. "Forget this prospect of marriage with Prince Philip of Spain. Instead, look to one of your own subjects."

I am astounded at the audacity of the man. Convening Parliament to instruct me on who I should marry. How could he possibly have found out about my decision to marry Phillip? Only Susan and Simon Renard were in the chapel with me. I know they would not betray my confidence. Are there now spies in the royal chapel? Is that now another place where privacy has been compromised?

I rise to my feet and take a deep breath to try and control my fury. I must speak calmly. I will not have these men mistake my outrage for feminine frustration.  

"My marriage is my own affair, Sir. i say evenly though it takes all my willpower to refrain "Parliament, however well-meaning, is not accustomed to using such language to the Kings of England, nor is it suitable or respectful that she continues to do so to a Queen."

"Your Grace, the country will never abide a foreigner as your consort; Edward Courtenay is the best match for you." He persists.

Merciful heavens! He cannot be serious! The thought of that feckless boy as my consort would be laughable if it was not so ridiculous. Courtney is a foolish youth and having spent most of his life in the Tower, has no social graces appropriate in a consort. He would not be a partner, trusted confidant as my mother was for my father. He would be my pet, just as little Kathryn Howard was. A 

"Prince Phillip does have a Kingdom of his own and would not wish to leave it to come to England," Sir Francis Englefield says, fuelling the debate.

"A Spanish marriage would, for certain mean that we would go to war with France," Edward Waldgrave dares to suggest. Prompting a ripple of agreement through the assembly.

"This nation can protect itself by the bonds and covenants, which this prince should enter into with the Queen," Englefield says.

"And what should happen if the bands are broken?" Waldegrave persists.

"My Lords." I feel my panic levels beginning to rise. I must change their opinions on Phillip. I have set my heart on him. He is the best man for England, for me. I must have him. "I beg of you, lay aside your private considerations and think upon the present condition of affairs. The French plotting, the marriage of the French Dauphin with the Queen of Scotland. What benefit could England gain with a man such as the Earl of Devon by my side? But what profit might we reap if I should choose to marry out of the Kingdom and unite with the might of Spain."

Sir John Pollard, the speaker of the house, rises and bows low to me. Clearly whatever he has to say will not be in Phillip's favour. "It would displease the people to have a foreigner as the Queens consort." He says evenly, though my temper is increasingly becoming strained. "If Her Majesty should die childless, her husband could deplete the country of money and arms. He might decide to remove Her Majesty, from her rightful position in husbandly tyranny, and if he were left a widow with young children, he might try to usurp the crown for himself."

I will not stand for this anymore. These men have insulted the son of the Emperor, a man for whom I have the utmost respect, and with far more freedom than my father would ever have tolerated. Before the Chancellor can stand to answer Pollard's insults, I rise from my carved chair, prompting the assembly to rise too.

"My Lords." I fight to keep the tone of my voice neutral, and my anger disguised. "For that you desire to see us married, we thank you. However, to dictate what consort we shall choose for our conjugal bed goes beyond your province. I now rule over you by the best right possible, and being a free woman, if any man or woman of our realm is free, I have the full right and sufficient years to choose a suitable partner in love. Sovereigns in these matters have suited their own tastes in the past and considered also the good of their people. It is entirely vain for you to nominate a prospective husband for me from your own fancy. Rather, let it be my free choice to select a worthy husband for my marital bed. One who will not only join with me in mutual love but will be able, with his own resources, to prevent an enemy attack from his native land. I do promise, however, that when the time comes for me to choose a husband, it will be done through my faith in God, whom I pray, will grant me counsel to inspire me in my choice of husband. A man who will be both beneficial to the kingdom and agreeable to myself. Although it is against my personal inclinations to marry, I will conquer my apprehensions given that the welfare and tranquillity of the realm are in question. I am mindful of the oath I made at my coronation and shall always think of the welfare of my Kingdom, as every good Princess and mistress should."