Goodbye

"So that's everything." Ethan says.

I had decided to stay over at his house with Bethany since I knew I wouldn't be able to see him again for awhile.

"This is all so surreal now." I say slowly, looking around his room at all the packed boxes.

It didn't even look like his room anymore. He had packed everything that made his room his.

He turns towards me and looks me in the eyes. "Megan listen to me. Leaving you is going to be the hardest thing I will ever have to endure, just know, no girl could ever take your place. I am going to come back home to you. I promise."

I could feel the tears starting to build up. I couldn't believe this was it. We were going to go our separate ways.

"I love you." I say pulling him into a hug and holding him tight. Thinking if I held him tight enough he would never leave.

"Don't forget about Bethany." I hear Mckayla say in the doorway.

We turn to see Paul holding onto Bethany and Mckayla standing beside him.

Ethan walks over and takes Bethany from Paul.

"And I'm going to miss you so much baby." He says, a tear falling to his cheek. He kisses her on top of her head softly.

"I hate to break the bad news, but we have got to leave now if you're going to make your flight buddy." Paul says.

Ethan nods and we carry the final few boxes out of his house and into the car.

*

"This is the best ice cream I have ever had in my life!" Mckayla says, with a face covered in chocolate syrup.

We had gotten to the airport a bit earlier than we intended, so we had decided to get something to eat while we waited.

"The best?" Ethan questions.

"Mhm!" Mckayla says, while licking her lips.

"Better than Cold Stone?"

"Yup!"

"Better than Gelato?"

"Sure is."

He pauses for a moment. "Better than Ben and Jerry?"

Mckayla pauses for a second before frowning and putting down her spoon. "No." She says sadly.

I couldn't help but giggle.

"Attention. This is the first call for flight 102 boarding for North Carolina."

"That's you kid." Paul says.

He had seemed completely happy this entire time until now. Now you could see the sorrow all over his face.

We stand up and walk over to a line that had started to form for flight 102.

Ethan walks up to Paul and hugs him tightly. "I'll be back dad." He whispers.

"I know." Paul replies.

Next it was Mckayla's turn.

"Well I'm not going to miss you at all. Dad says I get your room and it's way bigger than my room." She sticks out her tongue.

Ethan squats down so that he's eye level with her.

"Well I sure am going to miss you."

Mckayla stands there for a second before pouting her bottom lip and bursting into tears.

"Don't go!" She cries, wrapping her arms around him.

"You can have your room and you can even have mine! I'll sleep on the couch, I promise." She cries.

"Sh sh sh. I'll be back before you know it." He whispers.

She sniffles a bit more before pulling away and running to hug Paul.

Now it was mine and Bethany's turn.

Ethan looks towards Bethany. "Hey there princess, try not to do all of your first's while I'm away." He kisses her forehead. She smiles.

"And you." He says looking up at me. "This is just a tiny part of the rest of our lives. When I come back home, I promise, I'll never leave again."

Tears start falling down my cheeks. "Still, four years is a long time." I sniffle.

"Not when I think about spending the rest of my life with you two." He replies.

I give him a quick kiss and pull away before I start bawling.

"This is the last call for flight 102." The lady on the speaker says.

"I'll see you guys." He says sadly.

We all wave and he grabs his carry on bag and heads towards the door that lead onto the plane.

We had stayed there and waited for the plane to leave, and after about fifteen minutes it did.

Now I just had to wait. Wait the longest I'd ever have to wait.

*

"So how do you feel?" Lilly asks.

"Terrible." I say with my face smothered into my pillow.

I pull my face out of the pillow and sit up to face her. "Lilly, what if he finds someone else?"

"That won't happen." She says, rolling her eyes.

"No seriously. We happened so fast. This happened so fast and we're still kids. College is where you find out who you are and what you want. What if he finds out that this isn't what he wants? What then?"

Lilly sighs. "Then you continue to live your life. Don't forget, you're going to college too. To find out who you are and what you want. I guess, I guess it's possible that Ethan could find someone else, and I don't have all the answers. I know I pretend I do, but I don't. All I know is that I've never seen someone have so much love for their family like Ethan has for you two, and I don't think that love could fade, even if your miles apart."

I take in what she says and all I could do was hope she was right. Hope that he'd come back to me and love me all the same. Hope.

I'm sorry that this chapter is a bit shorter than others, but I hope you still enjoyed it.

Please leave me your thoughts on this chapter and also follow me if you would like to be updated on when my new book is being published.

I love you guys so much. Thank you so much!