26. a resurrection

my eyes flickered open with a start, and i inhaled a deep gulp of air as if i had just emerged out of water.

"doctor klarkson, ava's awake!" i heard someone say, and turned my head to the side to see effy sitting next to me, her expression one of worry and concern.

"ava, honey, are you feeling okay?" effy cooed softly, pushing back the hair that fell across my forehead gently. i shook my head.

"w-where's hav?" i asked, my eyes brimming with tears. effy frowned, "who?"

"the boy...the boy from the other ward," i said, eyes widening. he had to be hav. hav was real. hav was real and he tried to kill me.

"what? hon, the boy from the other ward died two days ago," effy said softly, her eyes welling up with tears. "his name was eddy. he couldn't have met you, although i'm sure you would've been great friends."

"what?" i breathed, my heart beat quickening. i didn't know eddy. who's hav? is he real? he had to be.

"ava? ava!" greg suddenly shouted, rushing into the room. when he made eye contact with me, he let out a visible sigh of relief. "oh, thank god. we thought we lost you last night. your airways suddenly got blocked, you stopped breathing for two minutes."

"it's a miracle," effy agreed, pursing her lips.

after the two of them made sure i was indeed alright, they unwillingly left to tend to other patients, leaving me alone in the room. they said i was almost cured. i wasn't dying anymore. i could leave in a few days, which was a little strange. i never left this place in eight years. i wonder what it was like outside.

with a soft sigh, my mind wandered to the night before, and i shivered when i remembered the cold hands around my neck. how could he?

i turned to grab my hairbrush on the side of my table, and froze. on the table, another wilting lily lay beside my brush, under a piece of paper i hadn't noticed before.

hav's favourite book was gone.

the end •

that's it, guys.

i know most of you must be scratching your heads in confusion, but i shall leave it all up to your imagination and theories. honestly though, if you read between the lines, everything will make sense. seems a little absurd but, i hope you liked the short read. remember to read the last 'chapter', to get a little insight on hav's perspective.

did the ending catch you off guard? let me know!