7. a scolding

"ava, your condition's worsening," greg sighed. it was our weekly hang out time but he didn't look as happy as he usually did. he held a piece of paper in his hands, the results of the blood test that he conducted with my blood, the same test i had to take every week.

"oh, " i all but replied. a little bit of guilt began to claw at my heart, making me feel a little uncomfortable.

"your body seems to be rejecting the medicine because it's reverted back to how it was before," greg said, before placing the test results into the file that contained more documents. "at this rate, you're not going to make it."

the sadness in his voice awoken the guilt inside of me, the little creature clawing in my heart, desperate to claw itself out of my throat. i wanted to tell him everything. 

"i haven't been taking my medicine," i mumbled, staring at my hands. i clasped them together nervously.

"what?" greg snapped. "how can you do that, ava? do you realise how serious not taking your medicine is? you could die."

"i'm sorry," i said, hot tears welling up inside my eyes. i didn't mean to be bad.

"unbelievable, ava. you've never misbehaved the past eight years here," he muttered, shaking his head in disappointment. "you really let me down today."

"i'm sorry, greg, i didn't mean it. it's just that i want a friend to keep me company," i admitted quietly.

"ava, your immune system is extremely weak," greg explained with a sigh. "it will be very dangerous and serious to expose you to other people because you could fall sick easily. the nurses and i can see you only because we're trained and it's our job."

"but then---" i paused, the encounter with hav still clear as day in my mind. hav was here, and i didn't get sick from his company.

"ava, you have to keep taking your medicine, okay?" greg said, his expression turning serious. "it's for your own good."

"...okay."

hello, loves!
how are you finding ava's story so far? i know it can be a little confusing and vague, especially about why she's at the hospital and who's hav, but it's meant to be a bit of a mystery.
what are your theories so far? let me know!