17. a step

"ava, you've made significant improvement," greg said, almost proudly. his eyes crinkled as he smiled and he reached out to clasp my tiny hand in his warm one. "this medicine might be what it takes to get you onto a road to full recovery."

"this new medicine is such a miracle, hon," effy the nurse said, nodding her head along with greg. "aren't you happy?"

i nodded, an excited smile forming on my lips. if i was recovering, that means i don't have to be locked in this room for much longer, right? i can leave, explore the outside world, see the sun, have fun with hav! we could do so many things together! like visit the zoo, or the park, or, or, or the movies!

"if you keep this up, you'll recover in about six months, ava. we're so happy for you," greg said, before bending down and grabbing several large bottles of medicine and setting it onto the table.

"remember to take them, okay? one a day," greg said. and then he went on to ramble about what all of the medicine was for, but they all sounded a little strange, and were very hard to pronounce, like 'vitaminum' and 'stragis' and 'immuneratio'. they were really weird words that never showed up in any of my story books.

"one a day," i repeated, nodding my head and smiling widely. one a day.