6. a stranger

i woke up to the sound of an object hitting the ground, and then someone cursing under their breath. i was still drowsy and disorientated from the medicine but i managed to open my eyes and clear my mind enough to make out a figure crouching at the foot of my bed.

"shit, that hurts," i heard the figure complain under his breath, and realised that he had dropped my story book, the one i got for my birthday, on his toe.

"w-w-who are y-ou?" i stuttered, and the figure froze, slowly turning to face me. my breath got stuck in my throat when i caught eyes with the boy standing in front of me. even though the room was shrouded with darkness and i could barely make out his figure, his eyes glowed a soft purple. yes, glowed, like my stickers on the walls.

like a deer caught in headlights, his eyes widened when he realised that he had woken me up.

"t-that's my book," i said, swallowing thickly. the boy turned his head and stared at the book in his hands, as if it was the first time he saw it.

"uh, yes."

"you're stealing," i squeaked, when realisation of what he was doing in the room dawned upon me.

"no, i'm not!" he argued, looking slightly offended. "this book is mine. they took it from me and i've been searching all night for this."

"wha-? that's not true! that's my birthday gift!" i exclaimed, and he quickly shushed me.

"are you mental? don't speak so loudly! we'll get caught!" he whispered, glancing nervously at the door.

"we? i'm not doing anything wrong! you're the one that's stealing my stuff," i said, eyeing him warily as he walked to the door and pressed his ear against it to listen for anyone approaching.

when he was certain no one was around, he let out a soft sigh of relief and turned the lock on the door, shutting the two of us in the ward. i gulped when he turned to face me again. i was really curious to know how he looked like, since his face was partially hidden by the darkness. i could just barely make out the shape of his face and his bright eyes, barely illuminated by the soft glow of the stars stuck on the walls.

"s-stop where you are. don't come any closer," i commanded weakly, my hand shooting to my side and blindly reaching for something to grab, something to protect me if he tried to do anything.

"you're going to protect yourself with a sparkly hairbrush?" the boy said, and i could almost imagine the amusement on his face. i frowned, tightening my grip on the brush.

"i'll scream," i warned.

"don't," he said quickly, setting the book down on the foot of my bed. "you can have my book back."

"it's not yours," i replied, and i heard him sigh deeply.

"whatever." then, he turned to the door again.

"who are you?" i couldn't resist asking before he could leave.

"what's it to you?"

"i--never mind," i muttered under my breath. the boy paused, glancing back at me.

"i'm hav."

"hav?" i repeated, my eyebrows furrowing.

"it's short for havoc," he explained dryly.

"oh." what a strange name. "i'm ava."

"ava," he repeated, as if testing the word in his mouth. "nice name."

"thanks," i replied, feeling heat rush to my cheeks. he shrugged, then turned to the door.

"well, goodnight, ava. i hope you like the book."

and just like that, the strange boy with glowing purple eyes left the room, leaving me with even more questions than before.