20. a smile

the first thing that i noticed about hav was that his eyes were significantly less shiny with the lights on. which kind of sucks. for a moment all i could think about was how much i would want to just hang out in the dark all the time if i had glowing purple eyes. they were still very beautiful though, the soft lilac shade that it was under the light was breathtaking. the next thing i noticed, was his face. duh.

i don't know why his face made my heart beat so quickly. maybe it was because i've never really seen a boy my age (or any boy at all), or maybe because i thought he was really cute. like, really cute. like, oh-my-gosh-is-he-real cute. like, no-freaking-way cute. do you get me?

he had a button nose. and black hair. slightly hollowed cheeks, and full lips, even though they were a little blue. and he was very pale. very, very pale.

and then, just like that, all of it was gone, and all that was left were his glowing purple eyes.

"why did you turn off the lights?" i asked, pouting slightly.

"'cause i look weird, ava."

"no, you don't. i think you're really c-cute," i stuttered, and he was silent. i felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment and my palms get sweaty. i was fully aware of how i must've looked to him, which was completely disgusting.

i couldn't fathom how he could ever think i was beautiful. i was bone thin, and my skin was a sickly yellow. my hair was limp and needed a trim, sticking onto my scalp like leeches. my skin hung off my bones, my eye bags were so dark and huge and my hollowed cheeks could probably be used as a bird bath if i laid down sideways and stayed still long enough. he was the definition of otherworldly and i was quite frankly, just a living corpse.

"are you just going to ignore me now, hav?" i asked, huffing under my breath. i heard his footsteps come closer, and soon he nudged me over and crawled into bed too.

"the answer would be no, ava," hav said softly, and full of affection. he pulled me close. "i just couldn't reply because i was too busy smiling."

aren't they the cutest?
i included a picture of how havoc would look like (although he really should be like, ten times paler and skinnier), he's played by vini uehara. i had such a huge crush on vini i named my guitar after him gahahagha...anyways, notice the purple eyes? mobile editing apps, ftw.

also: thank you guys for getting this story up to #60 in short story in just the short four days of publishing this! the support i get from you guys is freaking mind blowing and you guys are so. amazing.