Chapter Eleven

A/N: Yay for more action! I'm going to try to update this more often, considering it's going at once a month now... Happy new year, by the way!

Taz found his servant, unsurprisingly, at the food table, straightening his white tie as he peered over an icing-coated pastry. He had donned a striking scarlet mask, but still easily stuck out from the crowd. He plucked a cake from a platter with long fingers and nibbled on it before catching Taz’s eye. Taz noticed with a sinking heart that Kyran looked extremely pleased with himself and rather mischievous, much like the cat that had just swallowed the canary. “What did you do?” he asked warily and Kyran just looked up before giving him a soft, almost sweet smile. Taz involuntarily took a step back.

Sweet smiles were very un-Kyran-like smiles.

Suddenly, Taz noticed something. On Kyran’s jawbone, there was a smudge of red. He narrowed his eyes and Kyran raised his eyebrows innocently, which was sort of ruined by the monstrous bite he ripped out of the cake a moment later. Taz pointed to his jaw. “What’s that?” he asked suspiciously.

Kyran curiously rubbed the speck of red off his jawbone. His smile froze in place. His head slowly lifted. “It’s blood, isn’t it?” Taz hissed.

Kyran’s lip slowly twitched into an involuntary smile, his automatic reaction to anything he didn’t like. Then he melted back into the crowd, leaving his half-eaten pasty on the table.

                                                                               ***

I honestly didn’t know why I lost my senses. It was just a kiss, for god’s sakes. The boy probably thinks I’m just a terrible person now. But, still, it was my first kiss, and I had no idea who this person was. So, I was stuck outside, leaning against the wall in my over-the-top mask and dress, taking deep breaths. I turned, and then jumped back with a yelp. Two curious brown eyes were inches away from my face. “Kyran. Give me some space,” I gasped, putting a hand over my heart. He had finally put on a scarlet mask, but there was no mistaking the white hair and clothing.

He still stared at me curiously. He produced his notebook from his sleeve and managed to somehow pull a pen out of his tie before scribbling something down.

Is there a reason why you’re outside, leaning on a wall, and looking like you’re ready to pass out?

I laughed lowly to myself. “Just… taken by surprise, is all.”

Kyran didn’t press it; thank his murderous heart. He just held out his hand for me and I took it, letting out a deep breath. His hand was freezing, but still, it was reassuring. I involuntarily squeezed it and he quirked one eyebrow at me, leading me inside, his shoes clicking on the cobblestones. He opened the door for me politely and then led me through the crowds and throngs of people who swayed in time with the slow music. We finally reached the food table, and Taz was waiting there and looking like he wanted to kill someone, and with the glare he was sending our way, preferably Kyran. Kyran abruptly let go of my hand and glanced at me before nodding at Taz.

I smirked. “Don’t want to get yelled at for whatever you did?” I teased lightly and he pouted for a moment before vanishing like smoke into the crowd, easily swallowed up by the dancing and music.

I felt Taz’s hands grip my shoulders and I glanced up at him. He was staring into the crowd, probably looking for a flash of white hair or the glimmer of a scarlet mask. “What’d he do?” I asked him curiously, and he shook his head as if trying to shake off the anger.

“Nothing important,” he mumbled, his mouth twisting into a frown. Then he glanced back at me before grinning. He gave me a mock bow, holding out his hand for me to take. “Miss Vivien, may I have this dance?” he asked politely, although his eyes were glimmering with laughter.