44: Rescue Me

Chapter Forty-Four
Maya Hart

"Are you guys ready?" Mr. Matthews asked.

It has been about a week since we were in Germany. It was now roughly around 12:00 in the afternoon on Tuesday, April 19th. We were currently in Venice, Italy. This was officially our third full day here. Our hotel was just as gorgeous as the other ones. Venice is literally made up of over a hundred little islands that are connected by canals and bridges. Venice is located in the Adriatic Sea. There are no streets that you can drive on in Venice; just the canals. This means that instead of cars, boats are the main way of transportation around here. In addition to that, there are boardwalks everywhere. But Because of all of the water surrounding us, we have the most magnificent view from our hotel room. The canals look even more beautiful when the sun is rising or setting.

    "Yeah!" Mrs. Matthews, Auggie, Riley, Lucas, Zay, Farkle, and I all answered excitedly in unison.

    We were standing on a dock that was just right outside of our hotel. The eight of us all had life jackets on. In front of us, in the water, stood three elegant, wooden gondolas. Three gondoliers stood on the dock with us as well. That's right; today, we were all going on gondola rides. The three gondoliers just smiled at us.

    "Great!" The one gondolier who was short and had dark brown hair and brown eyes said in his thick, Italian accent, "Follow us!"

*Start playing "Rescue Me" by Daughtry. Lyric vid above*

    With that being said, the eight of us followed the three gondoliers to the edge of the dock. I noticed that the water had many ripples and tiny, little waves in it. Banners and flags on buildings on the other side of the canal blew around wildly, and so did my hair.

    Riley suddenly wrapped her arms around my left arm, squeezing me tight. She gave me a peck on the cheek, causing heat to rise to my face.

    "Oh, I'm so excited for this, Peaches!" She beamed, "Are you?"

    "Yeah, but it's kind of windy today..." I replied honestly.

    Our story's old, older than the wind
    It's been decided for years

    "Don't worry, gondolas don't have sails so that's not really going to affect us!" Another gondolier who was of average height and had brown hair and brown eyes assured me in his light Italian accent.

    "Yeah, but what about the current?" Lucas questioned.

    "Wouldn't that make it harder for you guys to row?" Farkle added.

    "I'm not too sure if you guys have noticed this yet, but we are professional gondoliers!" The third gondolier who was of average height and had dark brown hair and dark brown eyes laughed in his Italian accent, "A current like today is no match for us!"

    "Ok, whatever you say," I replied, despite having a queasy feeling in my stomach.

    Rescue me in the middle of the ocean
    Crashing down, it's always hard to breathe

    With that being said, the three gondoliers each climbed into a gondola. They each stuck a hand out to help us in. Mr. Matthews, Mrs. Matthews, and Auggie decided to go on the guy of average height's gondola. Lucas, Farkle, and Zay ended up going on the tall Guy's gondola. Riley and I ended up with the short guy. As soon as he helped us get on the boat, our gondolier untied the boat from the dock. He then walked to the bow and whipped out his oar. Using the oar, he shoved us off of the dock.