25: Telling the Class Again

Chapter Twenty-Five
Maya Hart

"Hi, Riley," Lucas, Zay, Farkle and I greeted our best friend she took her set in her own father's history class.

"Hello, friends," she muttered as she plopped her books onto her desk and sank into her chair.

"Riley, what's wrong?" Lucas queried.

"I know that you are still upset about having cancer, but you look as if something else is bothering you," I stated.

"Yeah," Lucas, Farkle, and Zay agreed.

Riley turned towards us, opening her mouth, ready to say something.

Just as she was about to speak, we heard someone say, "Good morning, class."

Mr. Matthews walked into the classroom with a bit of gloominess on his face. Ok, now I know something's up. Forgetting my question, Riley turned back around and faced her father, our teacher.

"Good morning, Mr. Matthews!" All of my classmates and I greeted our teacher simultaneously.

"Class, today, I am going to teach you a lesson that is one of my favorites," Mr. Matthews sighed out with no enthusiasm whatsoever.

Farkle raised his hand.

"Yes, Farkle?"

"Sir, if this is one of your favorite lessons, then why don't you seem excited about it?" Farkle questioned, "By the way you came into the classroom, you didn't seem too thrilled. I don't mean to get up in all of your business, but did something happen? Is there something bothering you, sir?"

Mr. Matthews looked down and sighed. He averted his eyes From the floor to Riley as if he was asking her for permission to say what was on his mind. Obviously, the same issue was bothering the both of them. Riley looked down at her books and sighed. She then stood up, looked around at the classroom, and gulped.

"This morning, I discovered this spot my arm," she announced, rolling up her black sleeve to reveal a brown mark on her skin, "I have no idea how long it has been there, but I think that it just popped up recently. I showed the mark to my mom and the look on her face was not too happy. She explained to me that the doctors said getting marks like this are one of the first signs of melanoma, the type of cancer I currently have."

My heart sank. Riley's symptoms were finally showing up. The room was suddenly filled with, "I'm so sorry,"s, "aw, that sucks,"s, "I hope you feel better,"s, and, "I hope it goes away soon,"s.

"And do not worry, what I have is not contagious, so it is ok for me to attend school even though I have this mark on my arm," Riley continued.

"But the doctors did say to keep an eye on it when she finally gets the marks," Mr. Matthews interjected.

"Yeah, and since I am no doctor, I do not know how much worse this will get. I do not know how many marks I will get or what other symptoms I will experience. My parents know because the doctors told them, but I said that I did not want to know because I am already not thrilled about this one bit. I do not want to have to worry about my symptoms before I even get them. For example, I would have not wanted to worry about getting a brown spot on my arm before I got this mark. I would rather learn about my sickness as I go along, ya know? I will just leave all of the science up to the doctors that I am visiting regularly every weekend. I trust them because I know that they are doing their best to keep my cancer under control. But I have no idea how much longer I will be in school for. As much as I do not like schoolwork and homework, hopefully that will not be for a long time now. Because if you do not see me here one day, that means I am sick. I do not like being sick. Once I am gone from this place, I have no idea if I will ever see some of you ever again."