15: Don't Tell Them

Chapter Fifteen
Riley Matthews

"Whoa, Riley!" Lucas gasped as soon as Maya and I had met up with him and Farkle in school, "You look... you know..."

"Different...," Farkle finished for him.

I looked at Farkle, then at Lucas. "Is that a bad thing or a good thing?"

Before either of them could answer, Zay, another friend of mine, walked up to us. "Hey, guys! What's going o-" He cut himself off once he saw me in my depressing outfit. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing happened," I lied as I dramatically turned my head away, "What makes you think that something did?"

"You're wearing depressing clothes," Lucas pointed out.

"Yeah, that's why," Zay agreed.

"You're wearing what you did when you were all depressed a few months ago."

"Why does my outfit matter to you?" I snapped, "One shall be not judged by their cover, but what is on the inside."

"And you're acting different," Farkle added.

"Yeah, that too," Zay agreed, "You're acting just how you did when you were depressed."

"You did not let me finish," I snapped, "What you judge me as on the outside is what is going on in the inside. I only that said that because that is not always the case. However, in my case, it is."

"Alright, so tell us," Lucas began, "Tell us is what making you act this way."

"Yeah, tell us why you're acting so depressed," Farkle instigated.

"Tell them," Maya whispered loud enough so that only I could hear her.

"No," I whispered as I gave Maya a quick elbow in the arm.

Maya rubbed her arm. "Riley, you can't just ignore things like this and hope that it will go away. And besides, if you don't tell them, you know that they'll keep on pestering you until you do!" She whispered.

I turned my head around and gave Maya a stern look. "Well, I don't care!" I hissed. forgetting to whisper.

"Everything alright?" Lucas asked, concerned.

"Anything that you would like to tell us?" Zay asked, raising an eyebrow.

I quickly turned my head back around. "Everything is fine; thank you for all of your concerns. And no, Zay, there is nothing that Maya and I would like to tell you at the moment." I glanced back at Maya and nudged her. "Isn't that right, Maya?"

Just as she was opening her mouth to protest, I gave her puppy eyes when Lucas, Farkle, and Zay weren't looking. "Please," I mouthed.

Maya let out a sigh and closed her mouth. Just as she was about to reluctantly agree with me, the bell rang.

"Oh, look at that!" Maya announced, "Class is starting soon! Gotta go!"