11: Cheery Clothes

Chapter Eleven
Maya Hart

    "Knock, knock, knock!" The sound of the Matthew's front door made when I knocked on it. It was now 7:00 on Monday morning and I was here to pick up Riley.

    I then buzzed into the intercom and said, "Good morning, Matthews'; it's Maya!"

    I heard footsteps coming towards me. They got louder as they came closer and closer. The door swooshed wide open. Standing right in the doorway was Riley, whom was wearing a black headband, a black shirt, a black shirt, and a black pair of boots. On Riley's shirt, it read, "Why do you care?" in grey letters.

    "Good morning, Maya," she greeted me flatly.

    "G-good morning, R-Riley," I stammered as I looked at her outfit in shock.

    Why was she wearing dark, depressing clothes again? Did something happen to cause her to slip back into a depressed state again?

    "What?" Riley snapped, noticing that I was staring at her, "Is there a problem?"

    "N-no," I stammered, "It's just why are you wearing dark, depressing clothes again?"

    "Maya?"

    "Yes?"

    "Read my shirt."

    "I already did a few seconds ago. I'm your best friend, Riley. That's why I care."

    "Well, you shouldn't. I am free to wear whatever I want and so are you."

    "I know, but you seemed to happy when we were watching Finding Nemo on Saturday."

    "Well, now my depression locked my happiness up in a cage where it belongs."

    "Did something happen that you didn't tell me about that caused you to act like this again? Did you have another nightmare?"

    "Nothing happened, and no, I did not have another nightmare."

    "What's wrong then? What's causing you to act like this again?"

    "Nothing is wrong and nothing is causing me to act like this."

    Riley crossed her arms and gave me a stern look. "It's just who I am, and apparently, you cannot accept that."

    "Riley, you were perfectly fine on Saturday and now you're all depressed again. Something had to cause you to revert back to your dark ways and I would like to know what it is."

    All of the sudden, a worried expression came across Riley's face. She looked over her shoulder and at her parents and brother who were eating oatmeal and the kitchen table.

    Riley looked back at me and whispered, "Ok, but if I tell you, then you have to promise that you won't tell anyone else."

    "I won't," I promised as I crossed my heart, which meant that I could never break my promise.

    Riley grabbed my wrist. "Bay window."