28: Good Comebacks Save Lives

Chapter Twenty-Eight
Maya Hart

    "Hey, Maya," I heard a familiar voice say to me as I was washing my hands in the bathroom in my school.

    It has now been a month since Riley and I started dating. Today was Wednesday, March 9th. Of course, I ended up apologizing to Riley over and over again for ditching school and just leaving her in the dust. I told her about what my mom said to me that morning, and I could tell that Riley looked absolutely shocked. I could tell that Riley never expected her to be homophobic. Well, neither did I until that one morning. I told Riley that I knew that my feelings for her were only going to grow and that I did not want to face them. What made it worse was that once she sang that song about me, I knew that she felt the same. I did not want to be kicked out of my own house for who I love, and I still don't. I told her that once I heard her call my name, I realized how much I missed her. I realized that I needed to stop being a coward and face the fact that I, Maya Hart, was indeed in love with Riley Matthews.

    Of course, being the understanding person, Riley forgave me immediately. She said that there was no need to be scared because I would always have her by my side to protect and love me. She also said that I'm a beautiful girl with a beautiful personality and that being capable of being capable of liking the same gender is one small part of me. She said if some people can't get past that one part of me and are bothered by it, then they are not worth my time if they don't even take the time themselves to look at the other parts that make up who I am. I teared up when Riley told me that. I ended up telling Riley the same thing about herself. You know why? Because Riley is one-hundred-percent right. If people don't even bother to look at the good parts of my and Riley's personalities just because we are dating, then we don't need them in our lives.

    I turned around to see who had just called my name. I felt myself tense up once I realized who it was. Missy Bradford.

    "Hey, Missy," I replied, trying my best to not to sound angry at her.

    How dare she bully my girl into acting like she's in depression. I seriously wanted to say something foul to her for bullying my Riley. But Missy doesn't know that I know about what she's doing, so I must act as if I don't.

    "So, how's your day been going so far?" Missy asked me.

    I felt this gut feeling that something was not right here. Why was Missy trying to be nice with me?

    I turned the sink off and walked over to the motion sensory air dryer and dried my hands. "Good. How's yours been going?"

    "Good," Missy answered.

    "Well, that's good."

    "Yeah."

    There was a short pause. The dryer went off, then I looked at my hands, making sure that they were dry. I rolled the sleeves of my blue shirt back down.

    Just as I was about to turn around and walk out of the bathroom, Missy finally spoke up and said, "Maya, there's something that I need to tell you."

    My heart leapt into my throat. I felt myself tense up. A million thoughts raced through my head.

    "What does she need to tell me?" I asked myself in my head, "Did she find something out about me? If so, then what? Does she know about me and Riley? And if so, does she approve? Is she gonna bully me for not being straight?"