37: Coming Out to Cory

Chapter Thirty-Seven
Riley Matthews

"Well, not exactly...," Maya replied sheepishly, cheeks red as ever.

    Steam was now pouring out of my ears. What was that supposed to mean? Come on don't lie to me, Maya! If Lisa asked if I'm your girlfriend, then you obviously told them that we were dating! While I was angry at Maya for outing us without my permission, I was scared; in fact, frightened. How was my dad going to react to Maya and I, two girls, dating? I know that Maya was the one scared about coming out because of her homophobic mom, not me, but still! I know that my family is very supportive and accepting, but even the nicest of people can be homophobic. It's really sad that homophobia even exists. For some odd reason, humanity has always been afraid of those different from us. Luckily, we are slowly starting to accept those differences and just see people, no matter what the color of their skin is, whatever gender they like, whatever gender they are, or whatever they believe in, as well, people. In my opinion, the majority should not be afraid of the minority nor vise versa. You can learn a lot from those who are different from you.

    "What do you mean, 'well, not exactly,'?" I asked, confused.

    "I never said that I was dating a girl named Riley Matthews," Maya explained, "I just said that I had a girlfriend."

    I face palmed myself. "Maya, if you told Lisa and Larry that you had a girlfriend, and then showed up with me, a girl, to claim our airline tickets, don't you think that they're going to think that I'm that girlfriend?"

    "Well, I did say that I wanted to bring our other friends. So there's a possibility that they could have thought that we were just friends."

    "Yeah, there is, but there's also a possibility that they could think that I'm your girlfriend!"

    "Look, Riles, I'm really sorry... I just got really excited a-and Lisa and Larry asked who I was gonna bring, a-and it kind of just slipped out... I told them that I wanted to bring my girlfriend who has always been wanting to go to Europe!"

    "It's ok, Maya; I-I get that you were excited. It's just that you outed us without my consent. If Lisa and Larry are accepting-"

    "Oh, we are very accepting, Riley," Larry intervened, cutting me off, "When you work at a huge, popular radio station like this, you get to meet all kinds of people. Each of them have a different story and come from different backgrounds. None of the people who we have met while working at COOL Radio look the same. All of them have their own unique personalities and interests, as you guys do. After working here— actually, from not working here; from just living in the real world— you get used to meeting people who are all different."

"And Larry and I are very willing to respect everybody and love everyone as long as they are nice and treat us like what we are— people. But even though it may seem as it, you two aren't that different. Larry and I may both be heterosexual, but there are people out there who are just like you. Now, I don't know whether you guys are homo, bi, or pansexual, but Larry and I have met all of those. In fact, quite a few of our coworkers are LGBT. All of them have been very sweet and nice to us, so we treat them kindly. We would never mistreat a person just because they were gay. So yes; Larry and I are accepting."

"Aw, thank you so much!" Maya beamed.

"Yeah, that makes me feel much better!" I giggled.