29: Missy Knows

Chapter Twenty-Nine
Riley Matthews

    "Riley!" I heard Maya cry as she ran to the lunch table that I was currently sitting at with Lucas, Farkle, and Zay.

"Hello, Maya," I beamed, hiding the fact that I was excited to see my best friend who is also my girlfriend, as I turned my head so that I was looking at her.

"Hey, what happened to saying, 'hi,' to Zay, Farkle, and Lucas?" Zay asked with a hurt expression on his face.

Maya rolled her eyes. "Hi, Lucas, Farkle, and Zay. I'm trying to have a private conversation with Riley right now, so do you mind?"

"Private conversation? Whoa, what a way to exclude us!"

"Zay, don't say that!" Lucas hissed.

"Yeah, I'm sure that Maya doesn't mean to exclude us!" Farkle added.

"Whoa, guys, chill out for a second!" Zay cried, "I was only kidding! Geez, sometimes it's like none of you can take a joke around here!"

Zay then turned towards Maya and me. "Go ahead, you guys can have your private conversation."

"And we promise that we won't listen in on it," Farkle added.

"Now, I wouldn't say that..."

"Zay!" Lucas and Farkle exclaimed in unison.

"I was just kidding! Gosh, you two need to lighten up!"

Maya finally sat down and took her place at the lunch table, which was right next to me. "You know what? Never mind," she told me as she shook her head, "I'll tell you later. There's too many people here who can possibly overhear us."

"No, you guys can talk here," Farkle told us, "We promise that we won't listen!"

"Would you like for us to go somewhere else?" Lucas asked.

"No, no, Huckleberry, stay here," Maya answered, "It's just that I just realized that school isn't the best place to talk about this with Riley."

"Bay window?" I queried, turning towards Maya with a faint smile on my face.

She smiled back at me and nodded. "Bay window."

Maya then turned around in her seat to glance at the analog clock that was sitting on the wall of the cafeteria. She quickly turned back around so that she was facing me again.

"Bay window in exactly one hour," Maya confirmed.

"So, Maya, what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked as Maya and I sat down on the bay window bench in my room.

The school day had just recently ended and Maya and I had walked all the way to my apartment. We had just arrived about a minute ago. Maya let out a sigh and looked down at her lap. There was a nervous look on her face as she twiddled her fingers.

"Riley, she knows we're together...," she finally said, looking back up at me.

My eyes widened. "Who's she?!?! Your mother?!?!"