42: Ride

Chapter Forty-Two
Riley Matthews

Just like that, a whole week flew by. Mom, Dad, Auggie, Maya, Lucas, Zay, Farkle, and I were now in Lefkada, Greece. Out of my whole week of being in Spain, I only got to go to Amelia's house one more time. We promised that we would keep in touch with each other and have Spanish lessons over FaceTime. Her friends, Luciana, Mariana, and even Valentina ended up becoming close to us as well and they volunteered to give me Spanish lessons when Amelia was not available. As you can see, I ended up keeping in touch with them and FaceTime with them as well.

As of right now, it was now 10:00 in the morning on Sunday, April 3rd. We left for Greece yesterday, so this technically our first day here. Our new hotel was owned by Marriott and was just as beautiful as the on in Spain. It had all of the same luxuries. The only thing that was different was the colors of the hotel's interior and the scenery around it. It still had palm trees and flowers, but they looked much different from the ones in Spain. Anyways, Maya and I were now standing on the sandy shores of Kavalikefta beach, which was right in front of our beautiful hotel. Since it was on my bucket list, Maya thought it would be a good idea if we took some surfing lessons. Mom, Dad, Auggie, Farkle, Lucas, and Zay sat in our shaded cabanas, watching us with bright and proud faces. Maya and I stood in front of two large surfboards. Hers was blue and mine was white. They both had to be approximately six feet tall. They were not ours to keep. They were rentals.

*Start playing "Ride" by twenty one pilots. This one goes fast, so please pause if you need to.*

"Are you guys ready?" Our surfing instructor, Christina, asked us as she walked over to us with her long, pink surfboard in her hands.

    "Yep!" Maya exclaimed.

I felt a queasy feeling in my stomach. I had the sudden urge to throw in the towel and just go back to our cabanas, pull a lounge chair out in the sun, and just bathe in it.

I just wanna stay in the sun where I find

   "Alright, follow me," Christina instructed.

Forthwith, Christina just smiled at us, pivoted around, and made her way to the ocean. Maya began to pick up her surfboard. I just stared at mine, just standing there. I mean, I was all for this since I have always wanted to learn how to surf; but for some odd reason, I was apprehensive. Surfing is something that seems really hard to do. I mean, what if I accidentally get knocked out by a wave and drown?

I know it's hard sometimes
Yeah, I think about the end just way too much

When Maya saw that I was idle, she began to tug on my arm. "C'mon, Riles. Don't worry, this will be fun! You've always wanted to do this, remember?"

"She's right, I've always wanted to do this," I thought to myself, "I should stop worrying so much."

I just smiled at Maya as I began to pick up my surfboard. "Coming, peaches."

After about a good hour of Christina showing us the proper surfing technique, it was finally my and Maya's turn to catch some waves.

"Go on, you go first, Riles," Maya told me.

"But what if I fall?" I questioned apprehensively.