13: Pretending to Be Sick

Chapter Thirteen
Riley Matthews

    "Riley, it's time to get up, sweetie," My mom whispered into my ear.

    I groaned. It has been two months since my little incident in the bathroom with Missy. Ever since then, she has been bullying me with every chance she gets. Of course, she always bullies me when no one else is there to see her. Not only that, but somehow she got my cell phone number and is now sending me very mean texts. She has called me many bad things, such as worthless, weak, pathetic, ugly, and many other names that are too horrible for me to say. She also said that I deserved to get cancer and deserve to die at a young age. She also said that I don't deserve to be happy and that I deserve to be sad and miserable instead. She had also threatened me, saying that if I told anyone that she'd beat me up so badly that the doctors wouldn't know where to stitch my legs back onto.

    I just can't take it anymore. I know that if I start to wear dark clothes and start acting depressed again, Missy will stop bullying me and leave me alone, but Maya would start questioning me. I would either have to lie to her or just flat out ignore her for the rest of my life since I can't tell anyone that Missy is bullying me. Also, I can't continue to wear bright clothes and continue to act happy or else Missy will continue to bully me. Not being able to wear bright nor dark clothes and act happy nor depressed in school only left me with one option.

    "Mom, I don't feel good...," I lied, "I think that I have a fever."

    All of the sudden, Mom placed her hand on my forehead. "Huh, you don't feel warm at all. You feel cool as a cucumber."

    "Could you take my temperature?"

    "But, Riley, I felt your forehead. You're fine."

    I faked a cough. "But, I don't feel fine. Can you please just take it just to make sure?"

    "Alright, let me just go get my thermometer," Mom announced as she placed the cup of coffee that she had been holding down on my nightstand.

    With that being said, Mom left my room to go get the thermometer. I smirked. The one thing that my mother had forgotten was that the last time I was sick, she put it in the drawer of my nightstand. Nobody ever touched the thermometer since. Not only that, but she was stupid enough to leave a cup of coffee right next to me! Well, my mom's not really that stupid. In fact, she's really intelligent. She just hasn't quite woken up all the way yet.

    I opened the drawer on my nightstand and dug around until I had found the thermometer. I then turned it on and stuck it in my mom's cup of coffee for a few seconds. I quickly pulled it out and stuck it in my mouth. I decided not to leave the thermometer in the coffee for too long because if it said that I had a 140 degree fever, my mom would know that I stuck it in there.

    "Mom, I found the thermometer!" I called with the thermometer still in my mouth.

    "Really, where was it?" Mom asked.

    "In the drawer of my nightstand!"

    "Oh ok! I'm coming!"

    I heard loud footsteps coming towards me. Seconds later, my mom barged back into my room. The thermometer beeped. Mom took it out of my mouth and looked at its digital screen.