41: Let Me Be Myself

Chapter Forty-One
Riley Matthews

It was now the next day, Sunday, March 27th. Easter Sunday. Maya and I both awoke at 11:00 in the morning to discover festive Easter baskets that were filled with candy. The only reason we got up so late is because we are still adjusting to the time difference. I know that some teens my age to sleep in and would not consider 11:00 to be late at all, but I like to get up much earlier than that. Anyways, Maya and I found the baskets on our kitchen table. My basket was purple and Maya's was pink. We knew which one belonged to who because they had our names on them. We knew that they had to be from no other than the Easter Bunny himself. The Easter Bunny sure does know us well because he filled our baskets with all of our favorite candies! For Easter breakfast, once everyone had awoken, Maya and I went to a pancake house that is just down the street of our hotel with Mom, Dad, Auggie, Lucas, Farkle, and Zay. Honestly, we all ended up finding out that Spanish pancakes are quite tasty. I decided to get mine with chocolate chips and they were absolutely scrumptious!

As soon as Maya and I had returned to our luxurious hotel room, bellies full, I got a text that read, "Hey Riley it's Amelia, the girl that you saved yesterday! I just wanted to wish you and your wonderful girlfriend, friends, and family a happy Easter! 🐰🐰🐰🐰🐣🐣🐣🐣 Anyways I'm having an Easter party at my house with three of my friends and would like to know if you and your girlfriend and friends would like to join us. It starts at 2:00 and ends at 6:00. I'm not too sure when you have to be back for Easter dinner, but if you have to leave early then that's perfectly fine! Anyways, I think that it's going to be really fun because first we're gonna have an Easter egg hunt and then we're gonna play Easter-themed games and then we're gonna go swimming in my pool for a bit! I already asked my family if you can come and they were just like 'anything for the girl who saved our Amelia!' And also maybe my friends and I could give you a few Español lessons while you are here!"

Of course, I told Maya about this text and then we proceeded to call Lucas, Farkle, and Zay. They all said that they would love to go, which is exactly what I told Amelia. With that being said, Amelia texted me her address. By 1:45, Lucas, Farkle, Zay, Maya, and I were already at the loop that's outside of the hotel. Our bathing suits and sunscreen remained in small bags that were slung over our shoulders. We patiently waited for a taxi to come and pick us up.

*Start playing "Let Me Be Myself" by 3 Doors Down. WARNING: Riley is going to starts to feel a tiny bit depressed again. You can pause the music if you need to if it goes too fast. Again, I recommend using Spotify.*

On the taxi ride to Amelia's house, I began to think about how I have not been depressed for quite awhile now, despite still having cancer. It's almost as if I have forgotten about it. Is it even still there? When no one was looking, I rolled up my sleeve. I let out a sigh as I rolled it back down. The big, ugly, brown mark was still there. But suddenly, I did not feel sad as I would have. I don't know why I even thought so pessimistically in the first place. With Maya, my sunshine, I can no longer remember what that felt like. I feel like Missy bullying me into being someone who I was not had to do a lot with it.

I guess I just got lost
Bein' someone else

For a moment, I thought of how lucky I was to have a girlfriend like Maya who refused to let me leave my true-self behind. Without her, this lovely vacation would not have been possible. She cares about me and loves me so much and I am truly grateful for that. I love her.

I left myself behind
Somewhere along the way

A few minutes later, we finally pulled up to Amelia's large, beautiful house. It had to have been at least three stories high. The outside was painted a stunning beige color. The grey cobblestone pathway was accompanied by pink, red, and purple flowers. Farkle, Zay, Lucas, Maya, and I quickly thanked the taxi driver, paid him, and stepped out of the vehicle.