20: Maya's House

Chapter Twenty
Riley Matthews

"Maya, why are we at your house?" I asked.

School had just ended about fifteen minutes ago and Maya had just dragged me out of the school building and all the way to her house.

"Because I told you that I needed to go get something," Maya answered.

"And what do you need to get exactly?" I asked.

"You'll see in a minute," Maya replied as she started to drag me down the hall.

We didn't stop until we reached Maya's room. Maya opened the door and pulled me into the room. Once we were in, Maya quickly shut the door, then darted towards the closet.

"Maya, why are we in your bedroom?" I questioned as I began to glance around.

"For the last time, Riley, I told you that I need to get something!" Maya hissed as she opened her wooden closet door. She then stuck her head inside of her closet and began to search through it.

"I know, but what do you need!?!?"

"Be patient, Riley! I told you that you'll see in a minute. Now, if I could just find it-"

"Why can't you tell me what it is that you need?!?!"

"Because I want it to be a surprise!"

I plopped myself down on Maya's bed and sighed. "Nothing in this world is a surprise for me, Maya. The only time where I can pleasantly shocked by something is when something good actually happens to me. Nothing good ever happens to me anymore, so I guess that I will never be pleasantly surprised by anything ever again."

Maya groaned, then whipped her head around and looked me dead in the eyes. "Drop the miserable act, Matthews! We're not in school; Missy isn't going to judge you for being cheery here. You wanna know how I know that? Because, Missy isn't here right now! Riley, the only people who are here right now are me and you. It's just you and me. No one else is here." Maya's eyes and voice softened all of the sudden. "It's just you and me, Riles... No one else..."

"I-I'm so sorry, Maya. To tell you the truth, that wasn't my depressed side speaking to you. With me getting cancer and Missy bullying me— I-I just can't seem to find a break..."

"I know Riles, but even though you may think nothing good is happening to you right now and that you have nothing good left— that's not true. You have a wonderful family and an amazing group of friends whom all love you very dearly and care about you very deeply."

I sniffled as I grinned. I felt like shedding a tear or two; but not tears of sorrow; tears of joy. "You're right, Maya. Thank you for being one of those amazing friends. No, thank you for being an amazing best friend.

Maya chuckled. "You don't have to thank me, Riley! You're an amazing best friend too! Oh, and don't worry; the surprise I have for you— it's definitely a pleasant one."

"Well, maybe it is in your opinion. In my opinion it's- Well, I don't know what the surprise is yet so I don't know what I think of it— or what I'll think of it, I should say.