32: Life of the Party

Chapter Thirty One
Maya Hart

*Start playing "Life of the Party" by Shawn Mendes*

    "Riles, you look beautiful tonight," I told my girlfriend.

    It was now 6:30 P.M. on Thursday, March 24th, and Riley and I were at the snack table at our school dance, obviously getting snacks. I was actually able to convince Riley to wear something cheery. I told her that this is our first dance as a couple, that she was to be herself. I told her to not be afraid of what Missy thinks because I said that if she says anything to her, that she would never see the light of day. So, instead of something dark and depressing, Riley chose to wear a pink, rose-decorated dress that had a sparkly ribbon in the front.

I love it when you just don't care

Riley blushed. She quickly glanced both ways before saying, "Thanks! So do you!" as she motioned towards my flows, blue dress.

"Riles, you don't have to be afraid," I whispered, "Who cares of what they think of us?"

So when it gets hard, don't be afraid
We don't care what them people say

"What are you talking about, Maya?"

"I saw you look both ways as if you're scared that somebody's going to hear us being all couple-ly."

"But I thought that you didn't want anybody to find out."

I just shrugged. "We're at a dance! We have the right to act couple-ly! If someone finds out, oh well! What are we gonna do about it?"

"What if they bully us?"

"Then we tell your parents. Your parents wouldn't let anybody bother us."

After Riley and I picked up a few snacks and some fruit punch, Riley just smiled at me and said, "You know what, Maya? You're right. Now, let's go say, 'hi,' to Lucas, Farkle, and Zay."

With that being said, Riley and I started to walk towards the dance floor. We walked arm and arm with smiles on our faces. Our hands were filled with food.

We don't care what them people say

We don't have to be ordinary
Make your best mistakes

"Hey, Riley," I heard a familiar voice say.

Riley and I both turned around to see Charlie Gardiner standing right in front of us. I let out a growl that was too low for anyone to hear. Charlie has had feelings for Riley for quite some time now and I am not going to let those feelings ruin my night.

"Hey, Charlie," Riley replied, clearly not sounding thrilled about seeing him.

But of course, Charlie is too caught up with his own feelings to see that he is clearly not wanted.

"So, would you like to dance with me while the song's still on?" Charlie asked, "I know how much you love Shawn Mendes's music."