14: Text Messages

Chapter Fourteen
Maya Hart

I stared down at the touch screen of Riley's phone in disbelief as I scrolled through all of the text messages. Riley didn't have the number labeled as Missy; all it said was her phone number at the top of the conversation. You wanna know how I know that Missy had sent all of these texts to Riley? Because who else would have the nerve to call Riley stupid, worthless, weak, pathetic, a loser, and so many other names that I refuse to say? Who else would be cruel enough to say all of those lies about someone as kind, sweet, and caring as Riley? Who else would be cold-hearted enough to bully a girl as lovable as her?

I felt an upset feeling in my stomach. I felt as if I was going to throw up because I was so upset. All of Missy's texts to Riley were demeaning, but the one that she had just recently sent her was the one that angered me the most.

"Congrats! It has been months since you have been diagnosed with cancer and you still haven't been feeling any of the symptoms! Good for you! Or are you just too ashamed to show that you are in pain so you cover it up with your horrifying smile? Pain is nothing to be ashamed about, Riley! I would love to see you in it. You, of all people, deserve to feel pain. A person as stupid, dumb, pathetic, and worthless as you doesn't deserve to be happy or live the wonderful life that you live. Say, why don't you make things easier and just kill yourself? It would be a huge favor for me and the cells that decided to mutate in your body because even though they are apart of you, they knew as well as I that someone as annoying as you has no right to live or be happy," the text read.

I just couldn't believe it. Riley told me that this would happen, but I didn't believe her. As mean as Missy is, I truly did not think that she would have the guts to bully Riley. I mean, with an over-protective friend like me, everyone should be afraid to even give Riley something as little as a nasty look! I felt horrible. Riley warned be about this, but I didn't listen. If it weren't for me, none of this bullying stuff might not even be happening.

      "I can't believe this...," I began, shocked, as I looked up from Riley's phone and into my her, "How could you not tell me about this?"

"B-because I-I c-couldn't," Riley choked out, tears forming in her eyes.

Seeing Riley upset made me even more upset. Tears started to form in my eyes as well.

"Why couldn't you?" I asked.

"I-I c-can't t-tell y-you!" Riley choked out.

I sat down right next to Riley right next to her. I hugged her and began to stroke her brown hair.

    "Riley, I'm your best friend and I care about you," I began, "Please tell me why you couldn't tell me that Missy is bullying you. You can trust me."

    That's when Riley broke down. She let out a loud sob and grabbed onto me, hugging me tightly.

    I just continued to stroke her hair. "Shh, it's ok," I cooed.

    "Sh-she s-said th-that i-if I-I t-told a-anyone, th-that sh-she w-would b-beat m-me u-up s-so b-badly th-that th-the d-doctors w-wouldn't kn-know wh-where to st-stitch m-my l-legs b-back o-onto," Riley stammered in between loud sobs.

    I just hugged Riley tighter. "Don't worry; I won't let Missy hurt you! She would have to go through me first before she could ever lay a finger on my Riley!"