Twenty two: Coward

NEUER POV

"Hummels?" I asked. They nodded in fear.

Bastian's face was on my mind right now. He was right and I didn't believe him.

"What did he do?" I asked. They looked at each other like unsure of revealing the truth.

"Come on, you have to tell me." I insisted. They shook their heads as a negative response. An intense sound made us all jump, a lighting on the distance announce a big storm was coming, they looked terrified. I placed my hand on Ben's shoulder and nodded in reassurance.

"Let's go. We have food and water, and clean clothes for you." I said. Their eyes lit up of happiness probably.

"Food?" Kevin asked. "Water?" Ben asked quickly too. I nodded.

***

They were behind me, the whole way back they kept mumbling things. For a moment I thought they were crazy but then I carefully tried to overhear what they were talking and in fact, it was about Mats.

The sound of the rain made difficult the task but I heard Ilkay's name too. I saw the camp on the distance even though it was clear night and there wasn't any bonfire since it was raining. I stepped inside and saw Bastian and André sitting together playing "Beach chess" which is a game they invented with rocks. André looked for white rocks and then between me and Shkodran looked for dark rocks, we had the same amount of rocks as chess pieces and they played with an imaginary board.

"Hey. Look who I have here." I said to the guys, they turned around and their faces lit up.

"Ben? Kevin?" André asked standing from the ground and coming closer to them. He pulled them into a tight hug but they boys didn't move, they were still a bit uncomfortable.

"Easy André." I said and he nodded looking at me in confusion.

"Guys – Bastian said , his face was pale and confused but his eyes were sad, he looked at me and I nodded.

"Guys what happened?" He asked. Kevin and Ben swallowed hard and suddenly Kevin started crying.

"What the fuck?" Bastian asked.

"Hey, what's wrong?" André asked.

"You were right." I said to Bastian. Benedikt looked at us and started shaking his head, he looked a bit disturbed.

"Is there more people in here?" He asked, we all looked confused.

"I mean... Yes-

"Who? WHO!?" He demanded.

"Uh Boateng, Mustafi and Hummels but they're out looking for something to dinner." André said. Ben opened his eyes widely and Kevin stopped crying, their faces fell and now all we can see was terror.

"No... NO!" Kevin said standing from the ground and walking around the camp. "We need to leave all of us." He added.

"What? What the fuck are you talking about?" André asked.

"Why? Guys... Why? Did Mats do something to you?" Bastian asked. He was in the right direction.

Ben looked at him and opened his eyes widely, they looked dark. "To us? No... To Ilkay." He said.

I a big pressure on my head, like if I was under water. "Ilkay." I whispered myself. Bastian moved quickly on the ground, his eyes sparkled with thirst for knowledge.

"Ilkay? What happened?" He asked. They boys looked at each other, terrified.

"You don't know?" He asked , Bastian shook his head as a negative response.