Chapter 1

It was a late, damp Monday night in April. I was working late, finishing up piecing ideas together to create the perfect novel.

I've published two other novels and they were quite successful, but the publishing company I was signed too, had demanded that I write a third that would be the best one of all three. They had to be sure that they could sign me over to one of those world known publishing companies, so that I could become an official author. I was over the published fiction on the web. I wanted my tale to be pen and paper, and a hard cover with my name slapped right across it.

The only problem was though, that I had serious writers block. I could not think of the perfect idea to expand upon for this novel for the life of me. It made me feel like I had exhausted every idea possible. I knew I'd written novels the publishing company I was with had enjoyed. But they didn't want to like it.

They needed to love it, so they could sign me over to one of the most famous publishing companies in history, HarperCollins. Located in New York City, the big apple. The city I've always dreamed of living in. The CEO, Brian Murray, had to devour this upcoming novel. Not chew it out. I couldn't have procrastinated more than I was already.

It was exactly 2:30 in the morning, and the stresses filled my head. Even with my eyes closed, I could still see the titles of genres and letters of the alphabet scattered in my mind. It was just like one big puzzle. I just had to sleep it off. I just had to mellow out, and sleep it off.

I tossed my bag over my shoulder, and locked up the office before heading home. I was currently living with my mother as I was looking for an apartment to settle down in, but I just haven't found the right one yet.

Apartments in South Carolina are much pricier than you think. My mother offers to pay for my living arrangements, but I've repeated to her multiple times that I want to be the one to take responsibility on what it is I do, where it is I live, and how I choose to live. After the many declined requests, my mother finally obliged and let it be.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that my mother is a famous tv host for her own talk show called Rise and Shine South Carolina. Yup, that's right. She has her own talk show and makes almost every penny worth. She has many known people on her show. You know, those things called celebrities? Yeah, she has at least 5 on her show every week. You would think that with the amount of money she earns, we'd be living in a mansion.

Well, that's not exactly the case. My mother chose to stay humble and not blow all of her cash on fancy living.

We live in a normal sized house, with 4 square bedrooms and chipped paint on the walls in the basement. Just like a normal family would have. We clean it ourselves, and don't have anyone else to do our dirty work for us. Well, also because my mom has a high OCD in how things should look, and where they should be. I try not to argue with her on that. That's why she stopped cleaning my room a long time ago.

My 16 year old brother lives with my father. I don't see either of them much. Jesse's a junior in high school, and pathetically lacking any maintenance to his grown out dog hair. Oh, the knots we discover there. Birds could create a nest, and you wouldn't notice.

As for my father, he works night shifts at his job, so Jesse has the house to himself majority of the time. Its okay though, he's always been quite independent. Although, I sure do hope he doesn't misbehave when my father isn't around.