I. The Murder of Osmond

Start from the beginning

Levi pursed his lips.

"She is my best friend, Levi. And she is your friend as well. It is our duty to help her. If her stepmother wins, it will be on our conscience. She is alone, Levi. She has no one else."

Whatever she said, it must have worked because Levi finally said, "You are indebted to me, Margaret."

She grinned. "Gladly. Now, off you go. If mother looks for me, do tell her I am painting," she said as she unfolded the letter once more.

He wryly looked at her. "You do not paint."

"Oh, but I do. In secret, of course."

"Of course," Levi murmured, turning to leave.

"And the list, Levi!" she called after him.

After Levi firmly closed the door, Margaret returned her attention on the letter and began to frown as she read on.

M,

You must have heard by now about the Prime Minister. At the moment, all ten Town Leaders, along with both House of Lords and Commons, are in preparation for a convention to vote for a new Prime Minister.

The Deputy Prime Minister have tasked the League to investigate further.

Osmond Trilby has received only one caller on the day he was murdered. It was Cole Devitt, Lord of Ashmore, current head of Wickhurst's Men of Courts.

Margaret stiffened and her hand began to shake as she read on.

Cole Devitt called on Osmond Trilby on Monday. The latter was found dead the morning after. The cause of death is a stab wound on his back. Further investigation by the Town Guards reveal Osmond Tribly bled to death in his room the night prior.

That very same night, Cole Devitt was expected to attend a dinner hosted by Willowfair's head of Men of Courts, but he never arrived. He left town, perhaps shortly after Trilby's death. His whereabouts are yet to be determined.

The League has taken the investigation from the Town Guards. For the time being, we are looking into every possible angle of the murder, but Cole Devitt is the top on the list of suspected individuals.

Should he return to Wickhurst, which we believe he would, you are to report it immediately. It is also your task to observe his movements while awaiting further orders.

As Wickhurst's head of the Men of Courts, he has all the connections he could utilize in his favor. All further missives shall be strictly delivered only to your residence and mine.

Send weekly reports promptly.

-CH

Margaret read the contents once more, this time more carefully.

She hoped the name had changed, that she had simply misread Calan Haverston's letter, but she read it correctly the first time.

Standing to her feet, Margaret lit a fire, dipping the edge of the letter in it, before dropping it into the small wooden box. She absently watched the fire consume the paper until it was naught but a sheet of fragile ash before she closed the lid. Walking to the window that overlooked the Everard gardens, Margaret hugged herself despite the warmth of the room with a frown.

Cole Devitt.

She had not seen him since he strode into their parlor to take Agatha back to prison. Not long ago, her brother's fiancée and also Ysabella and Emma's former governess, was branded by the entire town of Wickhurst as a witch simply because Benedict chose her over someone in his station. Many events followed that day until the happy wedding Benedict and Agatha deserved. Margaret had been preoccupied, even until now with Tori's problem. Never had she had a moment to think of Cole Devitt after he came back to Wickhurst to fill in the role as the new head of the Men of Courts.

Or maybe Margaret merely mastered the art of blocking any thoughts of the man.

Cole Devitt.

Tori had once said she should hate him for what he had done, but Margaret might after all be stupid because she could not bring herself to summon any hatred. He had left her incapable of hating him, much more so develop affections toward anyone else.

Sometimes she wondered if she merely confused the feeling to that of love all these years. He had ruined her for anyone else. He was the sole reason for the darkest years of her life. But how could she hate him if she also understood why he did what he did?

Whatever she may feel toward him then and now, Margaret knew with almost all certainty that Cole Devitt was no murderer.

However, she had a duty to the League, and if Cole Devitt was a suspect to a murder, then she should start working.