I. The Murder of Osmond

Start from the beginning

His brother blinked his emerald green eyes in surprise and disbelief. "They did not even offer a suggestion?"

"Of course, they did," Margaret said, looking at him. "You."

Levi bared his teeth.

"They said it is about time you take on responsibilities after escaping most of them for three years. And I agree. For one, you left the twins to Ralph, of all people, and I have to step in to help him if you must know."

Levi rubbed his hands on his face and Margaret was secretly amused. In the past few years, Levi had been a little distant. Once, he had always been a charmer, but for reasons unknown, he started to lock himself away in his Standbury estate. He tried his best to always appear fine whenever he was with the family, but Margaret could tell he was going through something. Mayhap this was one of her ways to keep her brother home. It may be a selfish move, but Margaret knew all too well what loneliness and despair could do to a person, most particularly to someone who was constantly alone.

"The twins! They have matched many couples from servants up. Should I remind you of their recent project in the names of our very own Ben and Agatha?"

Margaret shook her head, strays of black hair swaying at both sides of her face as she did so. "The twins are too romantic and idealistic. Tori does not need romance. She needs a husband."

"And when are marriage and romance a separate matter? Was I too far gone from society to have missed it?"

"You know very well most marriages do not have romance, and you know very much about romance not leading to marriages."

Her brother's face mellowed at her words for a moment, the memory of the past shared between them for a short second, before his handsome face scowled once more. "I do not see why I have to do this. I have been away from Wickhurst for too long. For God's sake, Maggie, I have been rumored to have gone insane and banished by you all three years ago!"

Margaret's smile did not waver. "But you still have your charm. You do still have your friends and those friends have other friends." Margaret waved her hand. "Do make the list, will you?" As he argued about having little knowledge about his friends now, Margaret dismissed his statement with a roll of her eyes. "I will chaperone the twins to a ball two nights from now with Ralph. You should come with us."

"I thought you only needed a list?"

"You might as well go. You are not leaving Wickhurst today or on the morrow, are you?" She knew she could not go far with Levi. There were buttons she could not press, but she was hoping to keep him with them longer this time.

"No, but I intend to leave within the week. The moment I deem it safe to escape mother."

She smiled with relief. "Then there you have it. You should come with us." And she proceeded to narrate more reasons, focusing a little on their two youngest sisters, whom they collectively referred to as the twins. Ysabella and Emma were not twins, of course, but they were born the same year. And ever since they came into their lives, the pair never ceased to cause them trouble. It was always a task to keep an eye one them.

"And while there, meet your friends. Get reacquainted. Be a charmer. And get us names." When he scoffed, she added, "And it might also help her a little if you dance with her."

"Dance with Tori?"

"Have you forgotten to dance?"

"Why would I dance with Tori?"

"Because you will want people to notice her. Levi Everard is at the Wickhurst Season, and the first thing he does is dance with Victoria Ashdown," Margaret said, waving a hand in the air. "Women would gossip about it, the men would hear it and they would all turn their heads and look for Tori, and then at Tori. Now, do you know why it is necessary?"