Chapter 4

"Where'd you think that up oh mighty Mark?" Sean asked as soon as Mark came through the door. "What?" Mark frowned, walking to his monitoring set and placing his bag down.

"Jacksepticeye?" Sean asked curiously, watching as Mark walked up to stand a few feet from his glass border. "You like the name Jack and you love this Septiceye Sam" Mark shrugged, clasping his hands together.

"You don't like it?" Mark asked and Sean frowned, looking at the ground.

"No, I love it" he said, turning and walking to his bed, sitting on the edge.

"Then what's the problem here?" Mark asked, crossing his arms and staring at Sean with wonder in his soft brown eyes. "Nothing" Sean shrugged and Mark didn't seem convinced but brushed it aside, walking back to the monitoring set.

"Do you have any pets Mark?" Sean asked and Mark glanced up at him, sitting in his seat and leaning back in it. "Yeah, I have a Golden retriever named Chica" Mark smiled to himself.

"That's nice, I used to have a dog, Gizmo, Jack Russell" Sean grinned genuinely, sitting on the floor, facing Mark and crossing his legs. "Really? That's a cool name for a dog" Mark chuckled, smiling to Sean.

"So Mark" Sean bit his lip. "Tell me about Jess?"

"Why?" Mark bit his lip, looking at Sean with a raised eyebrow. "Just trying... trying to have a standard and normal conversation with you, I'm practicing my patience" Sean smiled crookedly.

"Well, I've known her for a long time, we've been best friends for a while, but we're going through a rough patch right now" Mark twiddled his thumbs, staring at his hands.

"Tell me about it?" Sean offered and Mark looked up at him. Could he tell him? It's not like he's going to go around and tell anyone, seeing as he's always in this glass cage.

"Well, one of our friend's spread a rumour about us and we're fighting about whether it's true or not" Mark shrugged and Sean smiled sympathetically to him. "That's shit".

"Yeah, but, I'm sure it'll be fine" Mark chuckled, running his fingers through his red hair. "I wish I could help..." Sean mumbled, looking at his hands helplessly.

"It's fine Jack" Mark chuckled, shaking his head to him. For once, Mark felt... comfortable around Sean, he felt like he was talking to a normal human being, and not feeling violated when Sean looked at him. He felt, calm and relaxed.

"You said you had a girlfriend right?" Mark said after a few moments of silence. "Yes? Signe" Sean nodded, biting his tongue. "Mind telling me about her?" Mark said and Sean chuckled.

"Well, I met her online, beautiful Korean girl. She knew about my... 'condition' since I met her and one day, I lost my shit and I.... I hit her" Sean mumbled, looking away guiltily. "She slapped me and threatened to call the cops, so I hit her again, until she fell back and hit her head on the counter, knocking her out" Sean sighed, rubbing under his eyes with his sleeves.

"You don't have to carry on" Mark frowned sympathetically but Sean smiled to him and shook his head. "No, no, it's fine, I needed to talk about it anyway, get it out of my system, you know?" Sean huffed and Mark nodded, biting his lip.

"But the next morning, when I was going to apologize to her, she contacted the institution and told them I had to go back" He glared at his hands as they curled into fists.

"Fucking hypocrite bitch!" He growled, shutting his eyes tightly before breathing out a shaky breath. He covered his face with his hands and cried, Mark standing and walking over to the glass room, standing right before it and placing his hands on the glass, watching as Sean looked up at him, placing his hand by where Mark had his own, smiling thankfully to him.

That was when Mark noticed the dark bruises on Sean's arms and one on his cheekbone. "What did you do?" Mark asked, frowning.

"What?" Sean asked.

"The bruises?" Mark asked, placing both hands against the glass, looking at them. "They're nothing" Sean grumbled, looking away. "Did you do that?" Mark asked sternly, staring at Sean hard.

"No! I didn't!" Sean shot back, glaring accusingly at Mark. "Then how'd you get them, they don't just randomly appear you know?" Mark rolled his eyes and Sean sighed, biting his lip.

"I was misbehaving, when I misbehave, I get punished" Sean said like it was normal. "Punished? Who punished you?" Mark seemed to become angry. "Rodney" Sean shrugged.

"Rodney did that to you?" Mark looked at him in shock. "Yes? He says that when I behave badly, I get a beating" Sean mumbled, as if he were a child.

"He's not allowed to do that" Mark shook his head, glaring at the bruises. "But its normal" Sean looked up at Mark, sitting on his knees and leaning his hands on the glass, looking at Mark.

"How long has that been happening?" Mark asked him and Sean rolled his eyes back in thought. "Um, like, since I got here?" He said unsure. "When did you get here?" Mark frowned.

"What year is it?"

_________

"You're not allowed to hit him you know" Mark said as he walked in the next morning, glaring at Rodney who looked up at him, puzzled. "I began your pardon?"

"Sean, you're not allowed to be punishing him physically like that" Mark spat out the words, watching as his gaze turned from shock to agitation. "The little shit told you" Rodney grit his teeth together.

"No, I figured it out" Mark lied. "I saw the bruises, you know that beatings leave marks right?" Mark said sarcastically and Rodney glared at him. "It doesn't matter, he doesn't know that" Rodney shrugged, crossing his arms.

"He should, it's wrong" Mark snapped and he laughed with a roll of his dark green eyes. "He's a maniac and a child, he needs the beatings to get him in line, learn that he shouldn't be fucking around like that" Rodney said as if it were perfectly fine.

"How'd you like it if I started beating you for being the shit head you are, think about that, Rodney" Mark spat out his name with major distaste, walking to the steel door, feeling his eyes burning holes into his back.

_______

"Top of the morning to ya Mark!" Sean smiled brightly when Mark walked in, jumping up from his bed and walking to the glass, waving at him enthusiastically.

"Hello Jack" Mark chuckled, walking up to the glass that separated the two from each other. "Now I've got a request" Mark swayed on his feet and Sean tilted his head slightly, frowning.

"I'm going to open this door, now, promise me you won't grab or attack me?" Mark walked up to the glass door, pulling out the keycard. "Okay?" Sean mumbled, sitting on his bad and crossing his legs, watching Mark curiously.

Mark sighed, opening the door slowly, his heart beating at a rapid pace. He pulled something from his backpack and walked cautiously over to Sean, before placing the cap on his head with a smile.

Sean's eyes widen in delight as he pulled it off and admired it in his own hands, hearing Mark leave and shut the door. "A cap?! Seriously?! Thank you so much Mark!" Sean's eyes crinkled at the corners, smiling hugely.

"Yeah well, I've had it for a while and never used it, so I thought you'd maybe like it?" Mark shrugged, placing his bag on his desk.

"I love it".

_____