Chapter 20

Authors note: Whoop Whoop! New charger=faster updates!!!!

Cato POV

It was taking Finnick and Georgie forever to get back. I hadn't heard any cannons go off so that mean't they were okay, but I couldn't help but worry. I begin to pace back and fourth letting my mind wander. Probably a half hour had past when I heard a twig snap. I turn and grab my sword, ready to kill. Georgie walks into view.

"Cato now this is going to be hard to stay calm about for her benefit you have to." Her benefit? Who's her? I put down my sword as I see Finnick come into view, carrying someone. And then my heart dropped.

Katniss.

Katniss. Right there in front of me. I rush over to Finnick and take her from his arms and craddle her in mine. I look down at her face. Her eyes were closed.

"Is she okay?" I ask, my voice breaking on okay.

"Yes, she is just exhausted. She fell asleep when we let her take a break from walking. I decided it would be better to carry her and get here faster then to not be here now." Finnick answers as he leans against a big willow tree. 

"Why does she have wounds and a black eye? Where was she?" I ask as I gently rub my finger over a purplish-blue bruise.

"Brutus tied her around a tree. Beat herif she tried to escape or did something wrong. The gash on her arm she told us he did it just for fun." I tense at his words, my jaw ticking as I figure out the best place to lay so I can rip his head off.

Georgie, sensing my mood change, places her hand on my chest.

"Cato the only thing Katniss wanted to see was you. How do you think she will handle knowing you went after Brutus... Alone? She would follow you and possibly get her self killed just trying to find you. Just wait. You'll get a chance at revenge." Georgie rasies an eyebrow, waiting for my response.

"I guess your right." I turn my attention back to Katniss. I lightly brush her cheek. Her eyes slowly flutter open. She stares up with wide eyes and searches around,very alert and frightened.

"Hey Fire girl."  Her eyes meet mine and soften. She smiles lightly.

"Hey" She says. Closing her eyes. Her body gets stiff. She jumps out of my grasph. I was confused and it hurt a little that she just jumped out of my arms. She looks towards Sam and Finnick who are both stiff, looking at a flock of small birds heading our way. I stand up as well. Then all three of them started screaming, or by the looks of it. They made no sounds. They covered their ears and dropped to their knees. The birds, Jabber jays, swarming around them. When I run to help them, I am thrown back. A invisible force field seperated me from them. I slam my fist into the force field. I hear a rustle in the bush behind me I raise my sword, the tribute from district 9,  comes into view.

"It's like a clock." He says.

"What?" I ask, my attention turns back to Katniss who was holding georgie and crying.

"The Arena is a clock. The reason why you can't hear them is because that spot at this time is sealed by a magnetic field." He says staring at Katniss.

"What are you talking about?" He made no sense. I was two seconds from killing him.

"You'll have to wait for the hour to be over before the field will go down. The next hour will be a huge wave from the beach in the east. The next hour will be posinious fog and then vicious mutant monkeys and then lightning. It's the new design that they came up with. You know for the Quell..." He rambled on as I watched them all huddle together.

"When does this hour end then?" I yelled.

"In probably about twenty minutes judging by the sun's location."

"Why did you tell me this?" I asked. He came closer to me. I held up my sword and he stopped.

"I support her." He holds up his wrist and shows the small mockingjay tattoo on his wrist. I didn't grasph what he was saying. I turn back to Katniss who was now staring at me. Her cheeks soaked from tears. I looked back to the tribute from nine as I see Brutus's sister shove a knife into his throat. I charge at her. A cannon announcing the boys death goes off. It seemed to disract her for a moment and I tackle her to the ground. Her knife slices my arm and my sword inches from piercing her neck.

"Killing me doesn't help your problems." She spits out.

"Yeah but you'll be one less problem to deal with." I shove my sword down and I feel a warm, thick liquid splatter on my face. I rub it on the sleeve of my shirt. Another cannon goes off. 10 dead. Nine left. At this point I hear their screams. I run to Katniss and try to coax them. They could be drawing attention to us.

"It's all over. Shhhh." I hold her in my arms. They seem to notice the fact that the birds were gone now.

"It...they....they sounded like someone was dying. Somoene who knew me. But I don't remember."

"It's okay. Shhh. Shhh."

"Finnick! Your sister!" Sam screams. Finnick who seemed to be in a daze, snaps his head to where Sam was.

"She's not breathing!" Finnick runs to Georgia. Katniss tries to get up but I hold her down.

"Give her space." I demand. Finnick started pushing on her chest and blowing air into her mouth.

"What's happening!" Katniss yells.

"She's having a reaction to something, her throat is swollen shut." Sam yells back. Katniss wiggles out of my hands and runs to Georgia, grabbing her hand.Katniss looks down at georgie's hand that is closed shut. Katniss opens it. Two berries fall from her hand.

"Nightlock." Katniss looked surprised to even know that.

A cannon goes off.

-------------------------------

I walk over to Georgies body. Katniss, cheeks stained with tears looks up at me. I look at Georgie who looks younger. Her face peaceful, rested.  I didn't know what to do. What words to say. So I sang the only thing that came to my head. The song Katniss sung to Rue.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

I looked to Katniss who's eyes were wide with shock.

"I remember..." She whispers.

"What do you remember Katniss?" I ask, confused.

"Everything."