chapter 7

Authors note: I started this chapter at 399 votes. So I was lucky that I get to do one more Katniss pov. Some of you still want Cato to be with Katniss and some want her to be with Sam, who will it be?

Enjoy :)

As the tribute dinner wraps to the end, Cato pulls me aside.

"What the hell was all of that?" He nearly growls.

"All of what?" I ask continuing down the hall I needed to find father-president snow.

"You know exactly what! Flirting with Sam" He grumbles.

“I wasn't flirting. He sat down and cheered me up that's all. It's not like I’m cheating on you if we aren't actually together.” I exclaim.

"But you’re not the old you right now, if you were we would be together because the selfless brave but stubborn Katniss I knew and loved before loved me back and would never do anything that was in her power to hurt me. I don’t like this Katniss. You’re selfish, a coward and a push over. You use to fight for what you believed in and now you don’t even remember what you had fought for and was fighting for." Before I could say anything, he turns the opposite way and walks off. His words stung. My heart felt ten times its size, being pulled into to different directions. One side belonging to the 'old Katniss' and one to the 'new Katniss'. A tear escapes my eye. I raise my hand quickly to wipe it away but another hand beat me to it.

"Katniss what's wrong?" Sam asks me pulling me into a hug.

"Nothing." I say too fast.

"Cato? Am I right? I give a quick nod in his chest.

"Well if you asked me I’d say Cato is the biggest jerk I have ever met." He says trying to comfort me. But his words made me want to hit him. Cato is definitely not a jerk. He can get angry fast and say stupid things but he is the most caring and loving guy I have ever met. He pulls me away from him looking at my face. 

"Would you like to get some ice cream with me? The cafe here has like forty different flavors." I laugh at his enthusiasm.

"I’d love to but I can't. I really need to talk to someone right now."

"Hopefully it isn’t Cato. He made you cry." he says. I shake my head.

"No it's not Cato but I really do need to find this person quick. Thanks for the offer Sam!” I yell jogging in the direction I had been walking in before. Cato may have made me cry but he is the first one to have made me cry. I may not love him as he said I use to but I do care about him and what he thinks of me. But I put this all aside as I run into father taking his usual nighttime stroll around his garden of white roses. I knew I would find him here.

"Hello Katniss! I got to say I have missed you so! “He says cheerfully.

"I would have missed you as well but with all these rumors going around I find it harder and harder to believe you." I cross my arms.

"Like what?" He’s says with fake astonishment. That is when I know for sure everything that anyone has ever told me about the past was true. Father-Snow lied and they told me the truth. I still don’t remember it, which makes it hard to understand everything that has happened to me. I had a mother and a sister, a good friend and Cato as a boyfriend but why can't I remember any of it. Maybe then will things get back to how they use to be. 

"Oh.. God...please, please tell me they are lying to me, that you didn’t kidnap me and take away my memory..." I finish. I look at him.

"They are lying and I didn’t kidnap you and make you lose your memory." He says with a shrug. I walked up to snow, grabbing him by his collar, slamming him against the wall making his hair get a little ruffled.

"How dare you do that? You have no right!" I pull him off the wall and slam him against it again. He giggles. As I look at him, I see he is mentally unstable.

"I wouldn’t do that if I were you." he says.

"Why? Maybe I could knock some sense into you." He slaps me hard across the face, knocking me to the ground.

"Because I own you, Cato, Haymitch, Effie, Cinna, your mother, your sister, even the boy you hunt with back home. I can and will destroy them if you step out of line again. Now listen to what I have to say, this will be what saves your boyfriend, friends and family. You must not fall for Cato again, this is why Sam is here. Fall in love with him or fake it. You two will survive the games and you can make it home to your family and friends. Your lover however will die by your hand. Yes you have to kill him yourself, so befriend him, protect him from other tributes, wait for the most dramatic part of the games and kill him. This is the only way your family will be safe. You will reunite with them in 12 with your memory returned and you have the option of continuing your romance with Sam or not." And with that he walked out. I, who was still on the floor, tugged my legs up to my chest and put my head in my hands.

What was I going to do?

Authors note: Cato pov next chapter maybe, I don't know what I would write from his pov yet. Any ideas? Writers block sucks!