24. Past Mistakes Are Kryptonite

Westport, Ireland

Penelope walked over to me that night as the moon was high in the sky, "You know Isabel won't kill him."

I glanced over at her, "Have you been to the palace?"

"I was there last week. The house is just empty. It is like Isabel is just waiting for you or something."

I rubbed the back of my neck as she leaned into me, "You know maybe you need some rest."

"It's been so crazy. I don't know if I can sleep."

"McKenzie, it's been years since you have been here. Look around, you changed everything for the best. You changed us all."

"But I can't save him."

Penelope smiled at me, "You know in your heart what you do."

I glanced down at her as she got up from next to me and found Christian at the door behind us.

Penelope dropped her head as she went out the door leaving us alone.

"You come to yell at me?" I asked still looking at the moon.

"No, you are in love. You were hurting the other night. I won't think anything more of it."

I glanced over at him. "You never questioned me."

Christian looked up at the moon above us.

"You just jumped on the boat and followed us."

"My mother told me that you looked important. That you were someone I shouldn't walk away from."

I nodded my head back at him.

"And plus, you have pretty friends."

I laughed back at him as Kari and Dallas were below us in the court yard laughing at something Sanna had said.

I placed my chin on my knee as I looked at them, "8 years ago there were a few more people but they turned on us."

Christian glanced down at me.

"They used us and made Sanna, they made Sanna do something."

Christian bite down on his lip, "I'm sorry about that McKenzie."

"That is why I promised myself that if anyone in our group against us again. I will fucking rip their throats out."

Christian nodded his head back at me as I got up and went back into the house.

"Going in a little hard?" Raquel smiled at me.

I slowed down as I found her at one of the steps, "Shouldn't you be something else?"

"Not really, I mean look around. No one is rushing."

I nodded my head back at her when I found Casey walking toward me, "But I think someone needs something."

"No time like the present to do something about that." Raquel glanced back at him.

"You said my father was here." Casey asked us.

Raquel nodded her head as she pointed down the back steps, "Down the back steps, out the back door. Into the cemetery you go."

Casey narrowed his eyes at her then back at me.