2. I Am the Somebody Lost

"What happened to her?"

Her hair was pinned back into a lose ponytail while a few random strands were placed perfectly to frame her pale face. Her eyes seemed to sparkle in the dim light of the hospital.

She ran her hands down her shirt to straighten it out once more. It was a way to draw her away from the situation at hand. Take her away from what was behind the mirror sitting in the corner of the padded room.

"Why is she in there?"

His voice was deep. His hair was graying. His once hard features on his face seemed to soften. The once upon man that could make a man rethink his choices was now the man going to an organic store because they have a really good kale salad.

His once clear eyes that seemed to hold all the secrets that the government wanted hidden now had eyes as lost as a blonde in a spelling bee.

The woman trying to avoid the situation turned to the older man in the room, "Why are we here with her? She needs help. She was gone for all that time. She looks thin and bruised. Why is she not in the hospital getting care?"

The older man rubbed his thumb along his chin, "Your daughter killed a nurse this morning."

The woman busted out laughing as the man with the lost eyes just looked at the older man in disbelief.

The older man narrowed his eyes back at the woman in the room, "Ma'am, she killed a nurse this morning."

"My daughter barely knows how to use the washing machine. You think she would kill someone?"

"Under extreme distress, yes, I believe your daughter is capable of anything. She showed us that when she was able to take down one of the guards before she was placed in a medical induced coma for her protection."

The woman pointed over her shoulder at the door, "I saw your guards walking around here. They are little things that got rejected from the academy. So don't pull that shit on me."

"The man she took down was a 400 pound Samoan man that really can hold his own."

The man was darkened eyes slowly let his head drop, "Who is that girl in there?"

"We actually don't know. We would like to test her."

The woman shook her head, "No, I need her home. Having her here is already destroying her. She needs to head back to the states."

"Mrs. Ashby, I know you would like McKenzie home but her injuries were so great and extensive that many doctors do not understand how she is alive."

"What do you mean extensive?" The man looked at the older man.

"Each one of her ribs was broken at some point in the time period she was missing. Her face received numerous blows as her nose and cheek bones were healing. It was like someone tossed this girl into a ring and went at her."

Mrs. Ashby glanced back at the window at the shell of a girl that was once so happy and always smiling. "You are saying that in the past 2 years my daughter has been missing, that someone used her as their personal punching bag?"

"I'm sorry but yes. The physical trauma is there. The emotional and psychological trauma is going to take time for us to understand."

"How much time?" Mrs. Ashby didn't hesitant to ask him.

"I'm going to be working with her but Mrs. Ashby, your daughter was found in a field with blood covering her. She was also wearing period clothing from another time."