18. If You Love Me, Don't Let Go

The sun had danced across the sky twice before Solomon finally slowed his pace as I was still weak from the shot to the stomach.

I stepped around him as the few small tents rested at the bottom of the hill.

Solomon was almost smiling as we went down the hill toward the tents, "How is the stomach?"

"I got shot, I feel like shit." I said back to him as he skipped around the camp picking up a fallen over log that was being used as a stool.

I stopped and watched him as he started working on a fire.

He was almost singing as he started on the fire.

I rubbed the side of my head as the little spark turned a twig into a fire with dancing flames. "Where are we?"

"Hunting grounds that only Maddox and myself know about."

"Hunting grounds, you actually use to do work instead of working the maids?"

Solomon stopped and glared back at me.

"I'm not jumping back into your arms Solomon. You got fucking married to Isabel."

"I had no choice."

"I'm sorry was she holding a blade against your throat or something? You had every chance to stay fuck off and go back to your brother!"

"My brother went against me. He went against Isabel!"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "You still believe her."

"She was pregnant with my child."

"SHE WAS FUCKING ANOTHER GUY. YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER OF ANY OF HER CHILDREN!"

Solomon stood slowly up as I took a step back from him. The sides of his face were tensing up as I knew I had hit a cord with him.

"I just thought you would fucking wake up and see that she has been using you from the start." I shook my head as I tried fighting the tears. "She never loved you like me."

Solomon tossed the twig into the flames.

"Everything I had done was to find and get you back. I know what is coming to you. I know the danger your life is in Solomon. Look around us, we are running from a group that wasn't hers or Maddox's. Someone else is working with Isabel. Someone else is trying to take command of what your father wanted you to run!"

Solomon shook his head back at me as he went for the tent that was on the other side of the camp.

"Hate me for speaking the truth but Solomon I will not allow any more of this bullshit."

Solomon stepped up on the front steps of the tent as he bite down on his bottom lip, "Get some rest tonight McKenzie, you need it."

I shook my head as he vanished inside the tent. I nodded my head as I heard the howling around us.

One of the wolves stepped out of the darkness walking toward me.

"Tell the others to get back to the village. Protect the village at all costs." I said down to the wolf as I kept my eyes on Solomon's tent.

I walked back over to the fire as I kicked a log back toward the flames.

"You know first off, I just wanna say that you did this all."