4. Among All the Noise in the World

The young guard glared at the doctor as he tossed another book on the desk in front of him. "You wanna explain to me what the fuck is going on here doc?"

"When McKenzie's family came to me about her disappearance I knew something wasn't right."

"What do you mean?" The young guard picked up one of the books. He flipped it over seeing the title. His eyes narrowed back at the doctor.

"The area she vanished from is well known for Viking activity."

"Viking activity....doc you are losing me again."

The doctor grabbed a curtain revealing the board. "Two years and I think something is going on with that girl."

The guard looked back at the doctor confused, "You wanna talk some more to me about this because I am lost."

The doctor pointed to the center photo, "DO you know him?"

"I failed history in school..."

"Solomon Ragason. He killed over 300 men in his time in reign. But now something different is coming up when people talk about him and what happened to him."

The guard narrowed his eyes, "What do you mean something changed?"

"He was to marry Isabel Skovgaard but then something changed about their marriage. This two week event that his father had planned, it went from a joyous event to everything covered in blood. His father was killed two days before the event when he should have been killed years after the event."

The guard looked up from the doctor to the board. "You think she had something to do with this?"

The doctor tossed over a file to the kid, "She called you Kingston, did she not?"

The guard flipped the file open to see what the doctor had put together.

"His name was Kingston Ahlstrom. His family had land to the north. They controlled a good portion of the area until Isabel's father came along and raided everything to the point must of the people left were dragging themselves from their houses."

"What does he have to do with me? I'm not even from this area."

"Look at him." The doctor pointed down at the file.

The guard finally glanced down to see the drawing of Kingston. It was like looking in a mirror.

"Your bloodline comes from this area and McKenzie knew that. She knew Kingston. She knew something from that era."

The guard glanced back at the door when there was a slight knock.

"Leave a message with the front desk!" The doctor shouted back at the door.

"Your girl from the hospital is waking up." A nurse mumbling into the room through the closed door.

The doctor glanced back at the guard, "Go check on her."

"I'm not her doctor."

The doctor grabbed the guard by his shirt collar pulling the guard closer to him, "She is lost. You need to help this girl figure out where and who she is."

The guard pushed his chair back to get some space between him and the doctor, "Whatever doc, I will check on her."

"Make sure you know what mind set she is in before you tell her who you really are." The doctor grabbed one of the photos from the wall and handed it over to him. "She is gonna need something to maybe wake up a little."