The Hard Choice

A myriad of senses flooded over Artifax in waves. There was, of course, the pain of his transformation that clouded all other things, but before him lay quite a tumultuous scene.

The fire had freed Layla and she fell to the ground to the right of Artifax. She lay still, watching him take in all things. Despite the noise Artifax couldn't hear anything when Layla's lips motioned that she loved him.

There were the rangers and giants storming down the cliffs, destroying the Formorian and ettin foes. The Northlander ships burned in the harbor and the soldiers from Buldur's Gate where landing on the beach. Artifax thought he could make out Jameth, Krusk, Irel, and Azrael leading the ground forces. Brother Belgeras, from Iriabor, fought along side them.

There was the Orb of Truth laying, attached to the staff, on his left. It glowed as energy leapt across the distance between them and entered his body. He no longer sought to retrieve the orb for Lord Kelpar, for he wanted Artifax dead. Surely Kelpar knew that if Artifax touched the orb, he would finish his transformation and regain his true dragon form. But then what?

Suddenly the heavens erupted in a bright blue light. It appeared to beam directly around the body of the transforming dragon laying in the sand. A warm voice spoke in draconic to Artifax. The voice, which no one appeared to hear, beckoned him to come home. It was compelling.

He knew that he could not remain in the material world for long in his true dragon form. That would not be allowed, but his friends and loved ones were here.

The voice told Artifax to give into the warm humming that was overtaking his body. The pain was disappearing while he remained in the light, yet he could tell that his body was still slowly changing. He felt his backbone change shape, but still, there was no pain.

Artifax was wrestling with all of these senses when a great growl drowned out all thought. The beach thundered as the sand lept into the air and fell back down. Artifax lifted his head in the direction of the noise in time to see Kazgoroth, fully emerge from the infernal pit. He swiped at four soldiers from Balder's Gate and with one shot shredded their flesh. There would be no stopping this beast. He had been summoned for one purpose- destruction.

He saw Jameth lead his friends down the beach toward Kazgoroth. Artifax knew that without his help, they would also be destroyed. Within a split second he had made up his mind. He mouthed two words to Layla before grasping the Orb in both hands.

"I'm sorry," would be the last two words that ever crossed his mortal lips. A great explosion shot into the air as the Orb of Truth revealed Artifax's true nature. His body twisted and grew. He growled and belched flame. In only a moment, he had fully transformed. The great brass dragon of Mount Celestia stood opposed to the demon Kazgoroth on the beach of Iron Bay.