"Before the Creatures Come Out"

"My name is Artifax. I have come many miles to rescue someone that I love." Artifax suddenly understood the empathy Greta must have felt when hearing about his own story. "In my travels, I met someone named Greta."

The sprite and the giant looked at each other. Gargos came forward and knelt down next to the much smaller man. He made gestures to continue but spoke no words. Malena spoke for him, "Continue please."

"When Greta heard of my quest, she asked me to deliver a message to her long lost lover, someone she called Gargos." Artifax watched the giant as tears appeared in his eyes. "Should I find you," he continued. "I was suppose to tell you that she is alive and is waiting for you in the Howling Forest, on the Dragon Coast."

Gargos' eyes continued to well up and he grabbed Artifax. The giant pulled the gnome in close and hugged him. There were no sounds save for the stretching of Artifax's joints and bones.

"Okay big man," Artifax tried to say without breath. "Put me down."

The sprite yelled at the mute giant. "Gargos, you are going to crush him. Put him down." And the giant complied.

Gargos motioned to the sky, which had continued to turn more purple. The sun was leaving the horizon and the moon became more visible.

"Gargos says that there will be a full moon tonight," Malena interpretted. "You must come back to our cave before the creatures come out."

Artifax caught his breath again, having been released by the big man. He thought about what the sprite had just said and weighed it against Layla's safety. After a night's rest, there would only be one remaining day before she was to be executed. Perhaps Gargos could give him valuable information to help his quest. It was decided.

"Lead on, my friends," Artifax said.

The giant, the gnome, and the sprite made their way up through the forest and into the hills just as the last rays of light left the island. Howling and growls erupted from all over as the sun set.

As Gargos rolled a rock over the entrance to his cave, Artifax wondered about the eladrin rangers that had come with him from Shinaelestra. Had they reached the island at all? And if so, were they now at the mercy of the creatures that roamed the island by night. These answers he would have on the morrow.