The Short Straw

Ori stopped and quickly pulled out her bow. She studied the horizon and took a long shot.

"Can you see them," Artifax yelled as he fell back to check on Throk.

Everyone had stopped. Ori seemed calm as she steadied her breathing between shots. "I see them."

Ladon and Artifax were on either side of the big man. Throk pushed himself up onto his knees. "Pull it out," he said.

"Not here," Ladon replied. "It will bleed out. This one is deep. Can you make it to the rocks?"

"Yes."

Ladon helped Throk to his feet and guided him slowly forward. Artifax stood behind the men, scanning the air for new missiles. Ori continued to return fire periodically.

Eventually they made it to the cover of the rock formation. They were between the hills of the Storm Horns and the Howling Forest. All around them was wide open plains, save for this and a few other widely dispersed rocky formations. The four adventurers got down behind cover and waited.

"They will come in the night," Ori said. "Take care of the wound now."

Ladon and Artifax helped Throk take off his minimal heavy armor. In taking off the large metal items Artifax couldn't help himself. "You know, you are a pretty damn big target." He applied pressure as Ladon attempted to get the arrowhead out of his back in one whole piece.

Oriander was on guard. She turned to Ladon, "Can you heal him?"

"If a had a few uninterrupted hours, yes, I can fix this."

Ori frowned. "We don't have a few hours. They are coming." She addressed both Artifax and and Ladon, "Arm yourselves."

Ladon sat momentarily, eyes closed, and prayed. Then he stood up and unsheathed his two handed sword. Oriander pulled out her rapier and long knife and hid from the waning light. Artifax positioned himself as guardian of their injured companion. He sat down next to Throk. "Looks like I drew the short straw."

Throk whinced between chuckles. "You are the short straw," he said.

Artifax smiled and laid a hand on him. And as he saw the sun set, his thoughts turned to Laraelra. Night number nine since she was taken. Five days until she will be no more.