Thirty-Five

As the train approached the dauntless compound, Morgan tightened the grip on her gun, Dominic had gone trough the plan one more time, mostly for Eric. Morgan was a bit amazed he hadn't said anything about the plan itself, but he did added that they were using transmitters provided by Erudite, when they were shot they would fall unconscious, and erudite will put them in a simulation to make them move without hurting them.

The ones that were shot but remained awake during the simulation would be proved to be divergents and Eric ordered them to be shot on sight. No exceptions. When he finished explaining he moved towards the open door of the wagon.

While everyone in the team was talking, Morgan looked towards dauntless and began moving her feet nervously, Eric quickly caught on that and he moved to her. She looked at him and sighed, he placed a hand on her neck bringing her closer and kissing her passionately. She followed, pulling him closer by his vest, when they parted she shook her head

"That kiss felt like goodbye"

Eric chuckled and leaned to kiss her again

"I don't plan on dying today, and not to some factionless."

When they approached and got closer to the doors of the compound, the team started to respond to the fire of the factionless, and when all the remaining factionless had been injected with the Sim serum and were unconscious on the floor, Morgan drew her real gun, and began sweeping the floors, and putting down the factionless proven divergents.

As she reached the last floor before she entered the pit, she caught movement on her left and pointed the gun towards it. Crouched in a corner, with a scared wrecked face, was a factionless boy. Not older that 8 years old, she asumed.

She approached him carefully, and inspected him, searching the tracker of the simulation. When she found it in his forearm she shivered.

She swallowed hard and retrieved a pair of handcuffs off her back and threw them to the kid. The factionless quickly understood and cuffed himself. She motioned him to stand up and led him towards the pit. She reached the group with the kid tailing behind her, and when Eric caught a glance of him he walked towards Morgan

"I said no exceptions" Eric said harshly. She handed him the gun and clenched her jaw

"I'm not killing a kid" she moved past him and began walking towards the group.

Halfway there she heard a gunshot, and stood frozen in place. She felt the air leave her lungs, and her mouth dry. She slowly turned around, to see how the lifeless body of the kid fell to the ground, and Eric put the gun down.

Her gaze fell to his, and she didn't recognize the man in front of her. She felt the tears pick her eyes, and the hand of Dominic held her arm, pulling her towards the group.

Eric looked at her, and saw that Dominic was trying to drag her away. He though that she would understand, it would be fine after a while.

It had to be done.