Nine

As she was passing the bridge in the chasm, a wave of fear engulfed her. She felt like something was wrong.

She thought of turning back to Eric, but that wasn't a real dauntless thing to do, she will be embarrassed. She forced herself to keep walking until the other side. As soon as her feet touched the rocky surface she felt a rush of wind and a fist coming her way, she dodge it, wincing at her aching ribs for the sudden movement. She watched as Cris grabbed by the leg and tried to get her to the ground and into the chasm.

She screamed and trashed, and screamed even more as a knife impaled her in her leg. She fell to the ground with a grunt of pain and trying desperately to grab something to stop Cris from pulling her to certain death.

"Now you'll learn to say yes" he grunted as she kept screaming to let her go. There wasn't much she could do, because of her unusable arm, her trashed torso, and now adding her leg into the list of casualties. She began crying thinking that it was the end for her. She fought against Cris, as he dragged her closer and closer to the abyss.

She managed to slip her feet from his hands, and when he reached to grab her again she kicked him in the chest and sent him tumbling down the chasm, with a sickening scream on his way down.

Four came running down the hallway, he had seen the confrontation and took a bit to warn everyone and reaching Morgan to her aid. Eric lifted her of the ground, as she continued to stare at the ledge of the chasm.

She could hear people talking to her, but their words didn't make sense. She couldn't move a muscle, she didn't even felt the knife sticking out of her left thigh.

Eric managed to make her walk. When she reached the infirmary and they removed the knife, with not a single reaction on her part, she got 5 stitches.

When they finished Eric approached her and made her look at him, his lips moved but Morgan didn't hear a word, she felt like she didn't know where she was. Eric put his hands in the back of her neck and caressed her check with his thumb

"She's in shock state clearly" announced Anne "until she snaps out of it we won't know how she is. We should let her rest for a while. Dim the lights and her body will know its time to rest. But someone has to stay here until tomorrow, just in case her respiratory system shuts down involuntarily."

Eric dragged a chair near her and placed her elbows on his legs, resting his chin on his hands.

He instructed the other faction leaders to take care of the body. An hour later, when he had made sure no one was coming to bother him he leaned on Morgan's sleeping figure and rested a hand on her good shoulder, caressing it slowly, satisfied at how soft her skin was.

He couldn't remember the last time his heartbeat had increased that fast. When he heard Four scream down the hallway that Morgan was in danger, he felt the air leaving his lungs, and his heart ache with every heartbeat. He took of running and got there just as Four was looking down the chasm. His mouth went dry at the thought of Morgan dead, he could almost feel his blood turn cold instantly, he inhaled and moved towards the chasm again when Four turned around to talk to someone.

He made a sprint and felt his soul come back to life as he reached out to Morgan to make her stand up, and make sure it was in fact her, she was real and she was alive.

He was awake all nigh, not wanting to wake up to find her dead. When she finally opened her eyes she huffed and muttered

"What now?" tired of waking up in the infirmary room ever since she step foot in Dauntless. Eric moved to her and she looked at him "what happened?" she stated taking notes on  how restless he looked.

Then the feel of his big hand on her soft and long fingers hit her, as well as the pain in her thigh

"Do you remember what happened last night?"

"I" she muttered, and closed her eyes "you walked me down and I headed to the dorms, I stopped at the chasm because I felt something bad was gonna happen and..." she started to wind up, her breathing becoming more uneven and erratic "and... I don't remember anything else" she squeeze Eric's hand hard "what happened Eric?" he took her face in his hands she breathed in and out slowly

"Cris intercepted you at the Chasm. He tried to push you down" she shook her head and moved her eyes from his.

Her jaw tightened so much her head stared to hurt, she tried her hardest to recall anything.

"You fought back, he stabbed you in the leg in the process but manage to get free of him"

"What happened to him?" she asked, already knowing the answer

"He slipped and fell" she looked at the ceiling and exhaled furious, she knew he was lying to her

"I killed him?"

"No, it was an accident" he placed his forehead on hers and whispered "if anything, he deserved it."

He moved back and released Morgan just as Tris and Four enter the room.

They showered her with questions, but Morgan remembered nothing of the incident, the nurse Anne said it was for the better, that way it wouldn't affect her that much, and on top of it all the second phase started that day.

They made Morgan go first, so she could get over it quickly and leave to rest.