That Taste, So Sweet Yet Bitter

The next day, Alison went to work and so did Emily.

Knowing that Alison would be okay and teaching seven classes, meant that Emily wouldn't have to worry about Alison calling in worry or loneliness.

Emily picked up her cell phone and called Spencer who was helping her mother who had just recently been elected the state senator of Pennsylvania.

"Hey Spence," Emily said quietly at her desk with the phone smashed against her cheek.

"Em, we need to go over what you're going to talk to Rollins about tonight," Spencer said.

"What if he doesn't tell me everything I need to know? It's going to be pretty hard without giving him the slightest inclination that we've read what was in his desk," Emily said.

"You were the one who basically did shit like this for nine months in the desert. Wouldn't you know?"

"How to interrogate somebody, you mean?" Emily asked, annoyed.

"This isn't an interrogation, Emily. It's just two friends getting a drink."

"Over the death of Alison's deranged sister who was also his patient. Oh did I mention, this 'friend' of mine is also my girlfriend's ex boyfriend?" Emily said sardonically.

"Well, when you put it like that, it sounds a bit morose."

"It sounds off, Spencer. I'm supposed to hate his guts, not take him out for a beer. He's had it out for me ever since I took Alison away from him," Emily said.

"I'm sure he's over it by now. People get their hearts broken, Em. It's the way of life. I'm sure Alison is not his first break up."

"Okay... But... What should I ask him?"

"Try to find out if Charlotte had any friends in Brookhaven. If there were any patients she was really close with. If so, use that to your advantage. We're only going to get one shot at this."

"And if he won't give me answers?"

"Em, I know what you're thinking, and the answer is no. Tonight is definitely not the time to play GI Joe."

"What're you going on about?"

"I know how much soldiers change in the desert. They're left up to their own decisions. They use force to get what they want. Please don't do anything stupid."

"Whatever."

"Hanna is coming by with Caleb so they can give you your mic. Remember to put it on before you go into The Brew so that we can hear your conversation. I want to record all of his answers so we can compare them later on. And so we can talk to you in case you get stuck. Remember, you only have about an hour before Ali will get home and notice you aren't there. That's the longest we can stall her. Get your answers, then go home before your girl does. She'll never know. Sound good?"

"Can't wait," Emily muttered.

----------------------------------------------

After showing Emily how each piece of equipment worked, Caleb lay the mic down in front of her.

"Keep the earpiece hidden behind your hair. It's not entirely invisible. And remember to speak clearly, but don't make it obvious," he instructed.

She smiled faintly. "It's military grade."

He noticed her eyes on the electronics and smirked. "I figured you'd want something that reminded you a little bit of what you're used to. Toby gave me the extra parts that Rosewood PD threw out. I fixed them up so they'd work specifically for you."