Too Close

Emily drove back to Alison's apartment from The Radley. She needed time to think and she couldn't while she was with Hanna who had begun to try to sing the alphabet song backwards.

The streets all passed by in a blur. She couldn't believe what it felt like to not be in her uniform. She felt bare. She didn't like it at all. But she certainly couldn't walk around in it. Especially when she wasn't on duty. It would just look weird.

Emily checked the time on the dashboard. 12:30. It was still too early to get Alison yet she was the one person Emily wanted to see. School didn't get out till 2:05.

She knew where she'd go. The morgue hasn't released Charlotte's body yet. If she could sneak in and take a look at the report, maybe she'd get more clues. Besides, it meant breaking into the crime lab. Whoever said Rosewood was boring?

Emily changed lanes in an attempt to turn the car around but felt an ice cold shiver run up her spine as she saw who was about to walk into the Brew.

She pulled her car over and parked in one of the spots out front of the small busy restaurant. Emily got out and felt her stomach churn.

"Paige?" she asked.

The other girl turned around and eyed Emily. Her face grew confused. "Emily?" she asked.

"What're you doing here?" Emily asked again, dumbfounded.

Paige eyed Emily's tattoo and heavily muscled arms. "I mean... I was visiting my parents. It's almost Thanksgiving, Em."

Em. That hurt Emily. She hadn't seen Paige in four years. Time really flew by. "I don't know whether or not to hug you," Emily said.

Paige smiled. "I could use a hug."

Emily walked forward and hugged the other girl who was actually her height. It felt weird, but almost normal. There were many reasons as to why they broke up in California, but neither one of them cared to think of it right now.

"Why are you here? Seeing your mom?" Paige asked.

Emily laughed. "That and I'm here for Alison."

Paige's face grew stony. "I hear she's teaching at Rosewood."

"She is," Emily said, noticing the shift in Paige's expression.

The tension involving Alison's name almost choked Emily. Paige absolutely hated her. Emily could tell she still hadn't thrown out her grudges.

"Are you here just to see her or?" Paige asked.

Emily scratched the back of her neck. She hated dealing with stuff like this. It wasn't even a love triangle anymore. It was Alison. Only Alison.

"I'm here because Charlotte was murdered. I'm being investigated, and Ali needed moral support. The other girls are here too," Emily said nonchalantly.

Paige's eyes grew wide. "You're here taking care of Alison while you're being investigated for her sister's murder? Are you crazy?"

"Excuse me?" Emily asked hotly.

"For all she knows, you killed Charlotte. The bitch deserved to die anyways, but still. She shouldn't want you to comfort her," Paige said.