Truth Be Told

Emily bid Alison goodbye for work. The blonde almost wouldn't meet eyes with her.

"You're going to be safe, right? No guns. No knives. Just you at work recruiting soldiers," Alison said.

Emily nodded and crossed her heart. "Scout's honor."

Alison smiled grimly. "I love you," she said.

"I love you more," Emily whispered as Alison leaned in and kissed Emily's lips, almost teasing her with her tongue.

Emily recoiled in agony as she realized Alison was purposely holding back. Maybe she really was afraid of her. Emily couldn't tell anymore.

There was a single night where Alison almost let Emily into the bedroom. They had been kissing, and Emily felt like it would lead to more.

But Alison stopped in front of the doorframe and kissed Emily goodnight before shutting the bedroom door in her face.

It wasn't meant to be a rude gesture, but Emily couldn't help but feel it was. She was basically watching the love of her life slip through her fingers.

She was honestly surprised Alison was letting her sleep in the same apartment at all. Sure, they lived together. But Alison could've kicked Emily out. It's not like Emily didn't have a place to go. She had The Radley. Or any of the other girls' houses.

Alison loved Emily. Emily was sure of it. She just seemed to think she was disappointed in her. Rightfully so. Emily packed all her things, moved into a hotel room, and tried to shoot herself.

And now as crazy as it seemed, she was listening to the tiny voice in her head trying to figure out what to do when it came to the Charlotte Cold Case that Lieutenant Tanner and Rosewood PD were working on.

After Alison left for work, Emily got into her car. She was dressed in her uniform, but she wasn't going to work.

She drove out to the Hastings' household where Spencer was helping her mother do business for her senatorial campaign.

Across the yard, the tall Dilaurentis house stood, completely empty and ominous like. Emily had so many memories of that house. The majority of them weren't good.

"Em!" Spencer called once she saw Emily's old beat up Toyota pull up in the driveway. She was carrying Hastings campaign posters in her arms.

It creaked with a groan and stopped with a cough. Emily got out and fixed her hat on her head, making sure the bun had no fly aways.

"You still have that car?" Spencer asked, hiding a smile.

Emily shook her head and grinned back. "It's a piece of shit now, but it runs. I can't complain."

Spencer hugged her. Emily tried her best to hug back, she still wasn't all that used to it.

"What are you doing here? How are you feeling?" Spencer asked.

Emily shrugged. "I guess I feel like I always do. Normal? Confused that I'm part of a murder investigation again?"

Spencer scoffed. "Yeah, I know that feeling. But hey, come in. My mom would be more than happy to see you. It's a little busy in there, but you'll live."