Nightmares

"Fields."

Emily looked around. It was dark. She couldn't see much. A couple things came in and out of focus.

"Fields, wake up."

Emily sat up straighter and opened her eyes. She was back inside the Humvee. Sophia sat next to her.

"You fell asleep. We seriously thought you died," she joked.

"Nah, she just wishes," Twig said.

Emily felt sick. "Guys? What are you doing here? Where are we?"

"Fields, what the hell's wrong with you? We're in the convoy. Supply run. Where else would we be?" Twig asked worriedly.

"This isn't real. This can't be true," Emily choked.

Sophia put a hand on her chest. "You're freaking out."

"You're supposed to be dead. I watched you die. I know you did," Emily said.

"Hey. You're wrong about that one, Em. We never really left."

But it wasn't Sophia who answered. It was Alison. She was bleeding in the seat next to Emily. "You didn't just let them die. You're home now. Which means you're going to let me die too."

Emily tried to look away. She tried. "No. No, Ali. I love you."

"They're coming," Alison said suddenly.

"Who Ali? Who's coming?" Emily asked as she leaned forward. The Humvee bounced along.

Alison smiled at her sweetly. "I wish I knew."

Then it began to grow hot.

"No, Alison. Ali, no!" Emily screamed as the entire convoy went up in flames.

----------------------------------------------

Emily shot straight up in bed, her breathing labored. Sweat dripped down her forehead and onto her lips so that she could taste the salt.

She looked over at Alison who was stirring in her sleep. She began to open her cool blue eyes as she felt Emily slip out of the bed next to her.

"Em?" Alison asked cautiously.

Emily stopped in the doorframe. She hadn't remembered she was only still in her boxers. The army suggested they wear them to prevent chafing and for extra comfort. Emily loved them.

She turned to the beautiful blonde girl who was laying in bed next to her. Her soulmate. The person she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. She could remember the smell of her hair from where she stood. It was so addicting to her.

"I'm just going to use the bathroom. I'll be back," Emily smiled tentatively.

Alison's expression still seemed worried. She got out of bed and walked over to the tall brunette. "I felt it. I felt you wake up. You had a nightmare."