heArtbeAt

Emily could feel her pulse quicken as she shot towards the tape recorder and threw it against the wall angrily.

"Emily!" Spencer yelled.

Hanna stepped forwards and gripped Emily's large tattooed bicep. "Em, please," she begged.

Emily looked down at what was left of the tape, her chest heaving from heavy breathing.

She couldn't help but see Hanna's large, scared blue eyes peeking up at her from underneath her lashes. There was no way this was happening to her. She hadn't lost control of her anger since she was in Afghanistan.

Spencer moved quick enough so that she could retrieve the recording device before Emily could attempt to smash it again.

"You need to calm down, Em," Spencer said.

"That fucking asshole threatened Alison!" Emily growled.

Hanna rubbed her shoulder in circular motions. Emily could feel her fingers caressing even the deepest tissue.

It calmed Emily down enough to speak without losing it all again.

"But it may have clues. Anything that could help us, right?" Spencer asked.

Emily's mind seemed to slow. "Right."

Hanna kissed Emily's cheek and laced her fingers through the brunette's. "Don't worry, Em. We're not going to let anything happen to Ali."

Emily smiled softly. It was painful, but genuine. She couldn't believe how lucky she was to still have the girls even after ignoring them for basically five years.

"Let's just get out of here. I don't want to be here in case you know who shows up," Spencer muttered as she stuffed the recorder into her jacket.

----------------------------------------------

The ice cream parlor was full of people which made Emily uncomfortable. She waited outside for Spencer and Hanna to grab their cones and the cups of ice cream they bought for the others.

Emily recognized Alison's favorite being made inside the store. Simple chocolate and vanilla swirl with crushed Oreos.

That's what the world should be like. A chocolate and vanilla swirl with crushed Oreos. The Oreos being the circles of opportunities and the swirl the mixture of love and ideas.

But sadly the world was more like Rocky Road. Too many obstacles. Too many annoying things. Too many things you don't like - like the crushed walnuts that everybody secretly avoids.

"Emily? I'm surprised to see you here," a deeper voice said.

Emily turned towards the sound and noticed Elliot standing up straight with his hands in his pockets. He was wearing a casual button down shirt and khakis. It was very different than what Emily was used to seeing him in.

She gave him a quick once over before plastering a fake grin to her face. Oh, how she wanted to punch the shit out of him.

"Yeah, well, Spencer and Hanna dragged me," Emily said back.

Elliot grinned. "Ah, the other girls. Is Alison here?"

Emily's smile faltered. "No. She's at home. It looks like it's about to rain. I didn't want her to get sick."