Chapter 54: The Truth.

Start from the beginning

"I've a surrogate mother?" I question, thinking that that is the only other option. Isn't it?

"No!" Samara corrects me. I look at Roni, who is just as confused as me.

"Until Patrick suggested adoption."

"A-adoption?" I stutter.

Samara swallows what seems to be a lump in her throat.

"The two of them went to the adoption centre in Region Two and they looked for ages. They wanted a new-born baby, and one just had happened to been brought in on the day it was born, 19 June 3098.

They fell in love with her at first sight and brought her home, she should've still been in the hospital as she was just born early that morning, but her mother wanted nothing to do with her." Kyle finishes. I don't follow?

Samara looks into my eyes and says "And they named her Clove-Sienna Rambin. Even though her real name was Adara Beckitt. They treated her no different from myself and Kyle. No special affection.

Three years later, Elaine surprisingly fell pregnant. She shortly gave birth to Veronica Lilley Rambin.

That adopted baby was you. That adopted baby is you."

And that very moment, I felt as if I was on some sort of drug and that I had misheard him. Maybe it was the Chemo.

"Me adopted? Ha! Then how come I look just like Patrick?"

"It's just luck Clove. Pure luck and it made it easier as you grew up, no one ever was suspicious about anything. Roni, if anyone was different. No one had blonde hair or blue eyes." Samara says in a hushed tone.

"Are you lying? You lied to me about Elaine, and the fact that she had cancer?" I snapped. I can feel the blood inside me beginning to boil. Reaching it's peak, I glance at my hands to see that they have turned an unhealthy red colour.

"No Clove. We're not. They planned on telling you when you were about eight or nine. But after Elaine died, he just couldn't and he swore he'd tell you before or when your eighteen. He wrote a letter that he was going to give you, one day when Madge was annoying him"  Kyle informs me.

And that's when I remember Roni. I look at her. Her bottom lip is quivering and her eyes are glassy.

"Roni?" I whisper softly. I place my hand on her shoulder. She slaps it away and stands up, forcing her chair to jerk backwards, eventually falling and causing everyone to look at us.

"Am I adopted too? hmm?" Roni roars. "Blonde hair and blue eyes? I look nothing like either one of them! This family is messed up! And guess what? It's all yer fault!"

She storms out of the cafe and I panic. She could get shot.

"Great work, guys!" I hiss sarcastically to Samara and Kyle, my so-called "Brother and Sister"

I push myself up and power walk towards the door but not before I yell "What're you looking at?" to everyone.

* * * * * * * * *

18 March 3114

* * * * * * * * *

"Clove-Adara Sienna Rambin-Beckitt. What a mouthful!" Cato exclaims as I lead him up the stairs. It's been one week since I found out I was adopted, and unlike the cancer, I plan on telling people.

Cato was let out of hospital yesterday, I managed to visit him once or twice. And I also promised Astrel that I'd help him.

He was wrecked, so I told him he needed to sleep. it was a struggle to get him to agree with me, and it was an even bigger struggle to get him up the stairs.