Chapter 16

"What did you and my mischievous little sister do today?" Dean asks me pulling me close.
        "We got tattoos." I say smiling.
        "No way there better than your other ones but let me see." Dean says. So I roll up the sleeves of my flannel. Dean's hand reaches out a grazes the tattoo that reads "there are far better things ahead than any we leave behind."
        After he sees that one I turn my other arm to show him the flower. Then I finally speak up,"That's all. Besides the ones I already have."
      He says,"They're all beautiful."
      I smile and say,"Thanks Dean."
     He pulls me into a kiss. But when he pulls away he pulls my arm out and starts kissing where my tattoos are. I hop up into his arms and he lays me down on the bed.

Several days later

          I feel around the cool sheets for my soon to be husband in three days. When I don't feel him I just guess he went on downstairs to grab some breakfast. So I slowly roll over and reach for my phone that's charging on the nightstand. After a good 15 minutes of scrolling through social media I roll out of bed. I walk over to my bathroom and put my phone on my iHome. I select Gold by Kiiara.
       I reach down to pull out the top drawer. When I reach inside I feel a piece of paper. I pull it out and see that Dean left me a note.
      It read,"Hey Abbs. Hope you slept great. This will probably be the last date we have before marriage. Considering tomorrow is the rehearsal and then the day after that is the Lockwood wedding shower. So, meet me at the swimming hole at 2. Oh yeah, wear a bathing suit. I love you, Dean."
       I smile at the thought of Dean being sweet and not the super tough guy he claims to be.
       With that I put on some waterproof makeup and braid my hair. I go to my drawer and find my favorite bathing suit. After changing into my bathing suit I put on a tank top and jean cutoffs. I find my Chacos and grab my phone. I make my way down to the kitchen for my keys to my jeep.
      I get into my jeep and turn Sam Hunt's Speakers on. And I jam out as I make my way to Dean Winchester.

DEAN POV

      I'm so excited for Abby to get here. She had no idea Caroline and I had planned a party for her. So we can have a little fun before we become so stressed out about being married.
      Caroline was here earlier setting stuff up. But by now a bunch of people are here just drinking and having a good time.
      "Hey." I hear from behind me. I quickly turn around to see Elena.
     "Elena? What the heck?" I ask.
     "Ehhhh guess again." She says. But then it clicks in my head. Abby talks about Elena's doppelgänger Katherine all the time.
     "Katherine?" I ask hoping I was right.
      "Yep. Congratulations by the way." She says. Katherine hands me a red solo cup. She holds up her drink so I do the same. Then she says,"To your new life as a husband." I smile and take a sip of the drink. It tastes kinda weird. Guess it must be old or something. 
        "Thanks Katherine." I say.
        "Your welcome." She says taking a step closer. She rushes at me and then everything goes black.

ABBY POV

      I hear my phone buzz as the next song comes on. I pull into a parking spot at the swimming hole. I dig into my pocket and look at the screen.
      It's Klaus.
      I answer and hold the phone up to my ear,"Hey Klaus."
      "Well hello there love. Seems you may be in a slight dilemma. Elena seems to have gotten free. And she's out for vengeance." He says with that accent that I love.
      "Oh no. How long ago did this happen?" I ask.
      "Roughly 3 hours ago. She could be anywhere. Make sure everyone is safe." He says.
      I immediately hop out the car. I feel a pit in my stomach. "Thank you Klaus. Bye." I hang up before even heading Klaus's response and start searching for Dean.
      I have an awful feeling. It makes me sick to my stomach like I may throw up at any second. Then I see him. He's sprawled out on the ground. I begin to feel the tears swell up in my eyes. I panicked begins to take over as I sprint over to him. I check for a pulse and there isn't one.
       No. This isn't how it's supposed to be. It can't be. I found a piece of happiness. It cannot be taken from me.
      I pick him up and bring him behind patch of trees. I lay him down on the ground. I take off my tank top and wad it up and lay it under his head. By now the tears were streaming down my face. My heart is hurting so bad it makes my whole chest hurt. I'm struggling to breathe.
      I grab my phone and dial Stefan's number. I tap my finger as I wait impatiently for him to answer.
       Then I hear his voice on the other end,"Hey sis."
        I can barely get the words out,"Stefan- Stefan- get down to the swimming hole it's Dean. Elena... Elena got free. And he's laying here dead right in front of me." My chest pain increases as the tears stream down my face.
       "What? Let me get Gracie and we will be there in a little bit. Hang on sis." He says. Then hanging up. I collapse right beside him. I lay his head on my legs. I brush his hair back and watch as my tears stream into his face. I try to wipe them away but they won't stop.

       As I'm waiting for Stefan. I put my face down in my hands. And just sob.
       But then I hear his voice,"Hey there. Why are you crying?" I lift my hands up to see Dean smiling at me.
       "Oh no... Dean. You're a..." I can't even bring myself to say it.
      "I'm a what?" He says sitting up.
      "A... Vampire." I answer. "But now you have to feed in order to transition."
      "But I don't want to hurt anyone." He says.
      "You have to just learn to control it." I say. "Stefan and I can help you with it." I take my hand and cup his cheek. "I'm sorry."
       I hear feet crunching sticks from a little ways off. Two sets.
      "Abby." I turn to see Stefan standing there. He looks at Dean,"I thought you said he was dead?" 
      "He was... Now he's a vampire. Or well in transition." I say trying to dry the tears. Gracie rushes over to Dean and hugs him while he's still on the ground. I walk over and hold my hands above my head. Trying to take a deep breath.
     Stefan walks over and puts me in his arms,"It's my fault."
I say into his chest. "If he never would've loved me, he never would've been a vampire. His sister wouldn't be a vampire. His brother's girlfriend wouldn't have been a vampire."
      "No, it's not. He chose to live you despite those things. That's love." He says rubbing my back.
       I pull away then say,"He needs to feed and soon." Just as I say it Dean grabs his head in pain.
       "Okay. Well good thing we're at a party." Stefan says. "Go get him someone."
       "Okay." I say walking out to the party. I immediately spot a girl who seemed a little lonely. So I compelled her to follow me.
      We make it back over to Dean and I say,"Okay Dean you have to feed on this girl or else you'll die. You also have to control the blood lust."
      "Okay." He says standing up and dusting off his jeans. He walks over and I watch as he groans at the pain of his fangs coming through. Dean leans into the girls neck and bites it. He begins to drink and drink.
       "Dean, stop. You'll kill her." I begin to pull at his shoulder. "Dean I said stop." I tug again. "Dean stop!"
      I tank him one more time and he lets go. I turn the girl around and compel her to go home and cover her wound up immediately.
     I look to Stefan and Gracie who are sitting nearby on a huge tree trunk. Stefan gives me a nod.
     "Dean, listen. You have to learn to control it. Your emotions will be heightened and basically everything else will. But you have to learn to keep it in check." I say.
     "I'll try." He answers back as I watch his fangs retract back into his gums.