CHAPTER XXII

Maximilian's POV

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She squeals and jumps on me unexpectedly, wrapping her legs around my waist. I can feel her core pushing against me through her thin short, and her breasts are pressed against my chest.

She holds me, tightening her thighs around my waist, and I can feel myself become aroused by the mere contact of her skin on mine. I cough, trying to hide my arousal. I really have to learn to control myself around her.

I can hear her heart skip a beat when she realises the position we are in. Her breath hitches in her throat, and she slowly untangles her legs from around me. I am extremely tempted to beg her to leave them there, to let me hold her, to let me have her.

The bright smile on her face slowly vanishes, only to be replaced by a slight blush. Her cheeks redden and I hear the blood pumping into them. Her thick, sweet blood...

'Imagine what it would taste like. Your fangs sinking into her skin, drinking her delicious blood, marking her yours forever...' Alastor's words repel me. Yet, since he's part of me, the lust I have for Hecate's blood only grows at his remark. I try not to let it take over, and barely manage to keep my eyes blue.

"We should all get to bed." Kevin proposes after a moment of silence, and the room empties, leaving just Hecate and I, alone.

She chuckles lightly and stands against the wall, leaning her head back and closing her eyes. I take the opportunity to study her better, taking in every single detail. Her nose is lightly curved up towards the end, her red lips having the softest Cupid's bow between them.

How can she look so wonderful by doing so little? The curve of her lips, her soft skin, her bare neck... how is everything about her so tempting?

"Today has been incredible." She whispers, her eyes still shut.

"Really?" I can feel my brows pulling together. How can she think that? We fought today, those bloody rogues almost tore us to shreds. I have experience in war, but most of the boys don't. Plus, the rogues that we fought today were trained. I don't know by whom, but their skills were by far more advanced than any werewolf's I've ever fought.

"It's been the most incredible day of my life." She exclaims, interrupting my thoughts. "I learnt so much. I finally know who I am, what I am. It scares the hell out of me, but at least I finally know." Her smile is so bright that it alone is enough to light up the room. "I just always assumed I was a freak." I hear her whisper to herself, and I know the comment wasn't made for my benefit.

I chuckle to myself. Her spirit, that's what I love most about her. That and the fact that she's so lost.

Just like I was before I found her.

"I fought against werewolves today. They almost got the best of me, but I won." Her smile trembles slightly. "I won, but they died."

I see her smile almost disappear completely from her face. I extend a hand towards her, brushing it lightly against her arm. This seems to shake her a little, because her smile slightly picks up again.

"But that doesn't matter. Not for now." She says.

Yet, I still see the sadness in her eyes. It pains me to see her like this: full of guilt. I know the look on her face too well: I have worn it so many times throughout the years. A shiver runs down my back. I know the thoughts running through her mind, because they have crossed mine many times after all the wars I took part in.

I know there is nothing I could possibly say to make the situation any better for her, so I simply wrap my arms around her and bring her against my chest. I notice how her arms don't hesitate to wrap around my torso, and I love the fact that she feels so tiny in my arms: it makes me smile.